Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   StressCoat Removing Ammonia While Trying to Cycle (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stresscoat-removing-ammonia-while-trying-cycle-69022/)

29Kilo29 04-26-2011 06:49 PM

StressCoat Removing Ammonia While Trying to Cycle

Hi,

I filled up my new 75 gal on Friday (April 22nd), decorated and got everything running. I added Stress Coat to remove chlorine when I filled it up, and then Stress Zyme on the Saturday. These are suppose to help create beneficial bacteria when starting a new tank. This all sounded good except today I read on the bottle they also remove Ammonia and Nitrites.

As of now I'm doing a shrimp cycle, 5 days in with no Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate readings. I also have a nasty smell and very cloudy water. Could I have no reading because of what I added, and if so how long until I can start getting ammonia readings and actually start a cycle?

Byron 04-26-2011 07:06 PM

Do you have live plants in this tank?

29Kilo29 04-26-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 659341)
Do you have live plants in this tank?

No, just some fake plants, drift wood and rock.

Byron 04-26-2011 07:24 PM

Too bad. I asked because live plants are the best way to "cycle" new tanks.

I've never tried other methods, so what follows is just my surmise which others with more experience in fishless cycling can correct if in error. The smell is probably the decomposing shrimp. As for the StressCoat and StressZyme, I would suspect the chemicals in either or both will affect the cycling in some way. There is another thread ongoing where Prime water conditioner is possibly the culprit in a similar manner, affecting the pH, ammonia and cycling bacteria.

Aside from the cycling issue, I would caution against using the StressZyme. The claims made for this product cause me concern; anything that "helps clean a dirty aquarium" is going to interact somehow with the natural bacteria--and here I am thinking as much about the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria that reside in a healthy substrate to break down organics as I am about nitrifying bacteria. I prefer to let nature handle these issues since it probably can do so better. Just my thoughts.

Byron.

29Kilo29 04-26-2011 07:36 PM

I agree, nature is the best way to go, but unfortunately the shrimp cycle looked quite easy when reading about it.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Considering my situation, what do you think is the best thing to do next?

Byron 04-26-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29Kilo29 (Post 659370)
I agree, nature is the best way to go, but unfortunately the shrimp cycle looked quite easy when reading about it.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Considering my situation, what do you think is the best thing to do next?

I really would like other members with direct experience in this method to step in here. Experience teaches us a lot.

Here's the other thread. It is long, but there is some good discussion on the effects of mixing too many chemicals from some experienced members.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...-please-67527/

Byron.

29Kilo29 04-26-2011 07:52 PM

Hopefully someone with a similar situation will help me out.

Just wondering - Does it matter when you condition tap water for an aquarium? ex. adding tap water to a tank then putting chlorine remover in a month later (no fish in tank)?

I might just drain the tank, then fill it up with unconditioned tap water. Put the shrimp in and let the cycle start, with nothing like Stress Coat affecting it. Then when the cycle is over add the Stress Coat to remove chlorine. Just taking a shot in the dark here as to if this is a good idea or not.

Now I regret not adding live plants badly.

29Kilo29 04-26-2011 07:55 PM

The only reason I didn't use live plants is because I'm planning on Cichlids.
Yet, are there any plants that can live in aquarium gravel? If so, I will try that.

29Kilo29 04-26-2011 09:07 PM

Arg... This tank is causing me soo many problems :(

I think I will just take out the shrimp, drain most of the water and add pure ammonia for the time being.

I'm still left with the question... The only tap conditioner I have removes Ammonia and Nitrites... so would it be possible to add tap water to a tank, cycle it with pure ammonia, and then add tap water conditioner after the cycle is done?

Boredomb 04-26-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 29Kilo29 (Post 659511)
Arg... This tank is causing me soo many problems :(

I think I will just take out the shrimp, drain most of the water and add pure ammonia for the time being.

I'm still left with the question... The only tap conditioner I have removes Ammonia and Nitrites... so would it be possible to add tap water to a tank, cycle it with pure ammonia, and then add tap water conditioner after the cycle is done?

I am by no means expienced on this matter but to answer your question a tank that is mostly empty and filled back up with just tap water and no conditioner(espically a 75gallon)? hmm I would think that would be a bad thing. The chlorine and or chlormines I'm thinking would kill the bactria in the tank that you are trying to get to grow or aleast some of them in the period of time that the chemicals are in the tank. Need you would be back to square one again. Now thats just my thoughts on the matter I wouldn't do it. I would wait till I got some conditioner that just gets rid of chlorine and chlormines most conditioners do both. Hopefully someone else will jump in and give their thoughts on it. Good luck!!