Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Will this work? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/will-work-69014/)

Boredomb 04-26-2011 06:04 PM

Will this work?

2 Attachment(s)
Okay I got this tank a couple of weeks ago. I am finally getting ready to set it up now that I have everything for it. The stand I originally had for another tank of mine thought their were the same size. The tank is longer then the stand :shock: Now I am sure it can support the weight but will the tank be okay like this or should I get a piece of wood cut the lenght of the tank?

Aqua Jon 04-26-2011 06:36 PM

IMO, it would be safer to have a board of wood under the tank. I think the uneven stresses will causes big problems over time. Also, I would if possible find out the maximum load for that stand since your are exceeding the surface area of the stand. The tank looks like it is about 20 gallons and 20 gallons of water will weigh approximately 168 (8.4 lbs per gallon) pounds. I say you'd be safe if your stand's rating was at the very minimum 175, but 200 would be best. Just don't want you to have to spend all that money over time and then find it all breaks on you :-(

Boredomb 04-26-2011 06:52 PM

The tank is a 29 tall. Soo roughly what 300lbs I see what you are saying about the uneven stress. Which is why I was thinking a board would help with this. The stand is all metal Soo I would think it would hold it I have no way of finding out the specs on it. I have the stand that came with the tank but it looks like it is going to fall apart. It looks to be made out f the mds board Soo if that will hold it up surely the stand it is on now will. :-?

Byron 04-27-2011 01:01 PM

I understand that it is essential to have the entire frame on the bottom supported. The weight of just the glass in the end walls will push down more than one might think, and the seal could easily give, or the glass craqck.

A sheet of plywood or pressed particleboard, 3/4 inch thick, should suffice. I have had tanks ranging from 10g, 20g, 29g and 70g sitting on plywood, with no issues for more than 10 years.

Boredomb 04-27-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 659933)
I understand that it is essential to have the entire frame on the bottom supported. The weight of just the glass in the end walls will push down more than one might think, and the seal could easily give, or the glass craqck.

A sheet of plywood or pressed particleboard, 3/4 inch thick, should suffice. I have had tanks ranging from 10g, 20g, 29g and 70g sitting on plywood, with no issues for more than 10 years.

Okay thanks I will get a piece of wood to support it.

Byron 04-27-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 660098)
Okay thanks I will get a piece of wood to support it.

Forgot to mention, though it is probably obvious, to have the sheet extend just beyond the tank frame all around. I usually aim for 3/4 to an inch "lip".

The advantage of wood or wood products is that the tank can settle down into it, and if there is any unevenness in the frame (which often occurs) this handles it. Similar to placing a thickness of that foam stuff under the tank on any metal stand because the metal will not "give" like the wood.

Boredomb 04-29-2011 05:15 PM

Okay thanks Byron, I was planning having the board slightly bigger then the tank was. Sometime in the near future I will try and get some dunno if I will be able to for awhile since there is a lot of rebuilding going on now. Plus there is no point to getting any when I don't have any power at home to cut it LoL
Posted via Mobile Device