Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Molly's in trouble again!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/mollys-trouble-again-68978/)

AbbeysDad 04-26-2011 08:26 AM

Molly's in trouble again!!!

In a previous thread I reported what appeared to be ick in one of my mollies, which the next day appeared in the other female molly, looking more like a fungus.
I moved them both into a 5g hospital tank and treated with tank buddies fungus clear medication (Jungle Labs) and by the next day all of the white spot areas were completely gone. After 3 days, I moved them back to the main tank. 24 hours later, both Mollies have the white patches again!!!
All the other fish in the main (60g) tank look just fine, including the male molly.
I don't really want to upset the biology in the main tank with the anti-bacterial fungus clear medication - not sure what to do??
Help!

AbbeysDad 04-26-2011 09:30 AM

Just a follow-up - this 60g is a fairly new setup that used a gravel sack from the existing 10g and top fin bacterial supplement. I did have a slight ammonia spike (slight green indication on my Seachem Ammonia Alert), but resolved this with a water change and addition of AC Ammonia Remover media.
I believe the tank to be cycled or maintaining well.
Also, throughout this past month, I have done WWC with gravel siphon and the water is crystal clear.
All of the other fish (4 Platys, male Molly, 6 Neon Tetras, 2 mystery snails) all seem very robust and healthy.
The female Mollies are somewhat pestered by the male~
Apparently there is some chemistry in this tank that negatively is affecting these two female Mollies.

TwinDad 04-26-2011 10:50 AM

Can't say for sure, but the only thing I was thinking of when reading your last post was length of time for treatment.

I know they say that you need to treat Ick for longer than the spots last, could fungus need a longer treatment time similar to Ick? I relate it to anti-biotics in humans the directions say to keep taking the medicine even after the symptoms disappear.

AbbeysDad 04-26-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinDad (Post 658955)
Can't say for sure, but the only thing I was thinking of when reading your last post was length of time for treatment.

I know they say that you need to treat Ick for longer than the spots last, could fungus need a longer treatment time similar to Ick? I relate it to anti-biotics in humans the directions say to keep taking the medicine even after the symptoms disappear.

You may very well have a point... and it seems like I have little choice but to setup the hospital tank again and treat them again.

redchigh 04-26-2011 11:51 AM

Treating for the wrong illness if worse than not treating at all.

Do you have a friend with a camera? We need a picture.

Do you only have livebearers? Any live plants?
You could try salt..

AbbeysDad 04-26-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 659002)
Treating for the wrong illness if worse than not treating at all.

I believe I treated for exactly the right illness, but the symptoms returned in the main tank.

Quote:

Do you have a friend with a camera? We need a picture.

I have a camera but have been unable to get a suitable photo for show 'n tell.

Quote:

Do you only have livebearers? Any live plants?

My signature line shows all the stock - The plants are plastic, polypropylene maybe.

Quote:

You could try salt..

Salt is not a recommended treatment for fungus, although it would be a preventive measure. Perhaps especially effective since Mollies are said to tolerate brackish water better than many others.
I'm reluctant to use salt because of the Neon Tetras and the snails (Abbey has named the one 'Gary' - he came with some floating plants, now long gone).

AbbeysDad 04-26-2011 07:40 PM

Well, the Mollies are back in the sick tank and treated with Jungle Fungus Clear.

Bluebirdnanny 04-27-2011 09:40 AM

Mollies are also sensitive quick erratic changes in water parameters. They are the first to tell me when I need to do some early water change etc. I have found that the ammonia lowering chemicals trigger illness in them before any other shows signs. Keeping up on the partial water changes and tank cleaning are more effective for tank and fish health especially when there are no real plants to use the extra waste nutrients.

And yes the treatment time was not long enough. Process of return to the main tank after treatment should include acclimating water to match what is in main tank BEFORE releasing back into main tank. Other wise it is like recovering from pneumonia ... not finishing meds and re-exposure to the first stressing agent that made you sick in the first place. Relapse for sure and longer recovery time. Minimum of two weeks in treatment tank after symptoms disappear followed by a water acclimation to main tank water parameters.

AbbeysDad 05-01-2011 07:54 PM

So after 4 days in the treatment tank, I did a 20% water change and medicated again. All 3 fish look good - white areas gone except small spot on smaller female. The male is being a real jerk pestering the females - sometimes charging and poking them (I guess so they know he's master of the universe) I'd like to take him out to the wood shed!).

I am concerned about 3 fish in this little (non-cycled) 5g tank with no WC due to medication. So far though, the fish have showed no signs of stress. Well, a few more days on the road to recovery and I'll start water changes and add a cartridge with carbon (current cartridge has carbon removed).

AbbeysDad 05-03-2011 08:30 AM

The Mollies are looking good after the second dose of jungle fungus clear.
I am beginning partial daily water changes to both remove the meds (slowly) and freshen the water since this is not a cycled tank.