Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Suicidal Fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/suicidal-fish-68875/)

29Kilo29 04-25-2011 01:48 PM

Suicidal Fish?

Interesting story...

When I was around 4 years old, I got 3 goldfish. About a year passed and 1 died. A couple months later, the 2nd one died, leaving me with only one. Immediately after the 2nd one died, the remaining gold fish became very slow moving, not eating much... depressed? I came home one day and found him out of the tank on the floor, I didn't even think they were capable of jumping out of the tank. I tried putting him back in the tank, but he wouldn't move. I was literally hanging him above the toilet (Don't worry, I don't flush dead fish anymore) and I saw his gills moving. I put him back in the tank and after a while he was moving around. 2 more times he jumped out of the tank, but luckily I was there and put him back in quickly. Unfortunately, the fourth time I was too late and he was a goner. No idea why he was jumping out until thinking about it later on and wondering... could it be possible he was depressed and actually tried to kill himself?

I know it's a little far fetched... but who knows?

kane chisholme 04-25-2011 05:09 PM

I don't know if he was committing suicide.. Maybe he was jumping out to try and get to his friends or something. You probably should have put a lid on though

29Kilo29 04-25-2011 05:42 PM

There was a lid on it but there was a small open space for the filter that he kept going through

Christople 04-25-2011 07:18 PM

weird... I had a paradise fish that was killing every thing so I put in a bowl and it jumped out like 7 times and died the 8th

kane chisholme 04-25-2011 07:25 PM

I wonder why they try and jump out then...???
Posted via Mobile Device

kane chisholme 04-25-2011 07:30 PM

Maybe it's because the tank has bad water or maybe the tank is too small... Or maybe the fish just likes to jump I'm not exactly sure
Posted via Mobile Device

29Kilo29 04-25-2011 07:32 PM

I thought all those things, but the first time he jumped out was right after the 2nd goldie died... none of them had ever jumped out before.

29Kilo29 04-25-2011 07:34 PM

And you'd think they would learn after the first couple jumps that getting out of water is bad for them... guess not

kane chisholme 04-25-2011 07:36 PM

Hahah, yeah I was thinking the same thing
Posted via Mobile Device

redchigh 04-29-2011 11:02 AM

They tend to jump out if ammonia levels are too high, or if you have a lot of cyano.

I would assume that the other fish died of ammonia poisoning... The last one decided jumping and hoping for the best was better than imminent death.