Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   I Didn't Mean to Get an Oscar... Help? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/i-didnt-mean-get-oscar-help-68806/)

ElfMouse 04-24-2011 04:44 PM

I Didn't Mean to Get an Oscar... Help?

I had a 40 gallon tank set up for some Convicts that a friend was going to give me, but the same friend (not the Convict owner) who surprised me with Bettas a few weeks ago (and these neat glass bowls! she said - I had to buy them aquariums) surprised me yesterday with a small Oscar, so I had little choice but to pop him into this tank. He would eat the fish in all my other tanks.
So - I'm worried about him. He just lays on the bottom. I know they sulk, but he's not eating, either.
Should I keep worrying? Is it just because he's in a new environment? It hasn't been quite 24 hours yet, not until about 9pm EST.
He was acclimated properly; and his tank temp is about 78 and it's been cycling for a good time period; like I said, I was going to get Convicts. I also had already bought some Chiclid 'sticks' because I don't know when the Convicts will arrive, so that should be the proper food for now? I'm doing research to see what else to feed him (I don't like the idea of feeder fish since they're usually unhealthy).
I know he'll need a bigger tank later, but for now I just want to keep him alive. I fall in love with my fish very, very quickly.
Also - I've seen some tanks - pics/videos online, and a friend a few years ago - who had Convicts and Oscars in the same tank. Bad idea? 'Cause I don't know if I'll have another aquarium when the Convicts arrive.
My friend is NOT allowed to buy me fish anymore. :roll:

andromaeda 04-25-2011 11:18 AM

Probably would be a good idea to give more parameters. I've found that asking for help in these situations posting the following information is helpful:

pH
nitrate
nitrite
temperature
hardness (dH)
whether or not theres plants and whether the tank has been cycled etc..

All of this information can help the really wise to know what is wrong with this little guy.

ElfMouse 04-25-2011 07:51 PM

I've got test strips on order - my local pet store is laughable, and WalMart... is WalMart.
I had some, but I ran out taking care of a new tank. I didn't realize I was so low on them until too late.
Anyway, this evening he finally started swimming around and he ate.
Voraciously.
So I guess he really was just sulking. Or totally stressed out. I'm so relieved!

mcb5522 04-25-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElfMouse (Post 658467)
I've got test strips on order - my local pet store is laughable, and WalMart... is WalMart.
I had some, but I ran out taking care of a new tank. I didn't realize I was so low on them until too late.
Anyway, this evening he finally started swimming around and he ate.
Voraciously.
So I guess he really was just sulking. Or totally stressed out. I'm so relieved!

Test strips arent ideal. They are not as accurate as drops. I recommend API brand of test kit. Its easy to use and very accurate. Pet stores use the strips and they detect ammonia nitrites and nitrates that arent even present when I do the tests several times with my own kit

On to the Oscar. I have a cichlid tank. They can be kept with convicts but you may suffer a loss. They can be aggressive towards each other or they can be great tank mates. It mostly matters on room. You say he is still small so things should definitely be ok for the time being. They eat almost anything. I like to give cichlid flakes and bloodworms as a main diet. They usually eat algae wafers meant for my pleco too. If he is small then he is not ready for feeder fish. On another note, do not feed any fish feeder fish. They can be full of disease as their living conditions are not ideal. very dirty, crowded and more of a chance for disease. Your oscar eats them and he gets sick or they introduce something to the tank. Usually the disease ick. I would go pick up a pack of bloodworms. Floating pellets when he gets bigger should also be introduced. A question I have is how big is he and how active is he?

ElfMouse 04-26-2011 06:47 PM

The drops sound good - do you know of an online place to order them?

My Oscar is around three inches long. He's swimming a little lethargically, but it's a huge improvement on how he was. He may just seem lethargic to me because my other fish like to dart around their tanks at high speed. He is very happily eating bloodworms, and will eat one or two of the small 'sticks' before he doesn't want any more. I was thinking I might try giving him a bit of raw potato later.

ElfMouse 04-26-2011 07:21 PM

Here, I got a pic!http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...ight/wilde.jpg

lorax84 04-26-2011 09:04 PM

If you keep feeding whatever you pellet/stick food you have the oscar will eventually take it. Oscars are the least picky eaters of any fish I have owned. Just keep offering and as he settles in he should become more receptive to food.

At the risk of hurting a friends feelings you may want to think about giving that oscar to a pet store and washing your hands of the whole situation. Oscars are a handful to care for and will eventually need a larger tank.

andromaeda 04-26-2011 09:22 PM

Whenever you do get a chance to check the tanks parameters, a few things to keep in mind are:

Recommended temperature range: 71.6 - 78.8 F
Recommended pH range: 6.4 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 1 - 15 dH

If it varies from this too far that could be why your Oscar is legthargic. My fish were hanging out at the bottom of the tank cause my water wasn't alkaline enough and they were becoming pale in color and weren't as happy as they are now. So I would still recommend looking into getting the water checked :)

I'm glad he's eating though sometimes its sad to see your fishie sad.

mcb5522 04-27-2011 12:34 AM

Wow he shows some great colors. More than Ive seen on any oscar. Keep doing what your doing and you should be fine. Just vary diet, upgrade eventually and keep the parameters in check.

ElfMouse 04-29-2011 09:20 PM

Still haven't got any of the testing supplies I ordered, but my Oscar is doing very nicely - much more active and likes to eat - only problem I'm having now is that he refuses to touch food that falls to the bottom of the tank. I tried giving him a bit of raw potato and he took a nibble but I had to net the rest out because he won't eat from the bottom.
Is that normal?
Right now I feed him a chiclid stick, wait until he's done eating it, give him another... until he's had a few then I give him some bloodworms. He seems perfectly happy but I know he's going to need more, especially to get enough vitamin C.
I am going to get a pleco for his tank, and they'll both eventually go into a 120g tank that I'm trading for; I have a 'cave' to put in for the pleco, and there are plenty of plants. The pleco is also as big as him, so hopefully he won't eat it. I'd get some cory-cats to clean up his fallen food, but they'd just be a slightly pricey lunch.