Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Bogwood+Plants from creek (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bogwood-plants-creek-688/)

Nick 10-01-2006 07:32 PM

Bogwood+Plants from creek

Hey everyone,
FIRST QUESTION:

I just got back from camping over the weekend. While I was there I noticed there was a nice creek nearby so I put my rain boots on and starting searching the creek for varous things for my fishtank. I came upon this nice piece of bogwood with lots of stuff on it from the creek. I was interested so I brought it home and sprayed it off and scrubbed it clean for over an hour to get the loose stuff of of it. I sprayed it ti'll there was nothing visible coming off of it. Than I put it in a big cooler to soak to get the final loose stuff off of it. I've done that a few times and there's nothing coming off of it anymore. It's pretty long so I cant put it in a pot so I think i will boil parts at a time to try to be safe. Am I doing good. Can I even put creek bogwood into my fish tank?

NEXT QUESTION:
THAN....
I came but a few plants that were everywhere I figured, what the heck, why not try them in my fish tank. So I got some and when I got home I rinsed them all pretty good and got all the dead leav's off of them and trimmed a few etc...Before I did my gravel vac and water change I put the plants in and nothing came off them so I'm guessing everything is okay with them. Can I even put creek plants in my aquarium? Safe or not.
Please im asking for everyone's Input!!
Thanks,

Nick :D

SimplySplendid 10-01-2006 07:39 PM

Alot of people use bogwood from streams in their tanks. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you wash it/boil it really good.
Same with the plants. They should be fine if you washed them really good before you put them in your tank.
Do you know where the stream comes from? For example if it's runoff from an airport or something, there could be harmful chemicals in the water that you really wouldn't want in your tank.

Nick 10-01-2006 07:42 PM

this stream is up in the wood really far. Lol. I'm sure its just mountains streams etc...I could drink out of it and a matter of fact i have! lol

crazie.eddie 10-01-2006 08:04 PM

What did you spray it off with?

joeshmoe 10-01-2006 08:10 PM

hmm. thats so cool how got live plants for free hope they do well do you have a pic?

Nick 10-01-2006 09:17 PM

Crazy.Eddie:

I just sprayed it off with hose water. NO chemicals at all. My mom wanted to put bleach on it and i said NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol seriously. Everything is okay. I managed to get the big piece of wood in. It barely went in and it floated so I put a rock on it for now untill it gets to the point to where it sinks. I re-arranged all of my plants and everything. I LOVE MY TANK NOW!! Some of you may remember me saying how I dis liked my tank but now i just love it. I'm getting a picture taken in a few minutes. Make way for a new thread under Freshwater MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick:D :D :D

SimplySplendid 10-01-2006 09:48 PM

Don't forget to change your avatar :wink:

Lupin 10-01-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flattrack23
Make way for a new thread under Freshwater MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you'll certainly be the one to clean up the mess in Freshwater Media for cluttered threads.:tongue: :wink2:

And do change your avatar.:devil: Hate to see the same avatars.:crazy:

SimplySplendid 10-01-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue

Does that apply to me too? :tongue:

Lupin 10-01-2006 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brie
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue

Does that apply to me too? :tongue:

Yes, Brie.:devil: Maybe to be specific, I'd post that everyone else whose avatars were since August will need changing.:bluelaugh: