Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   questions about wisteria (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/questions-about-wisteria-68773/)

lunawatsername 04-24-2011 02:56 AM

questions about wisteria

ok, so i just got a wisteria plant today, and i have put some in each of my small tanks. but it raised a few questions for me..
1 the plant i bought came with a few different plants in one small tube, i put 3 of them in one tank and one in the other. was i suppose to plant them all together, and if i separate them will it kill the one by itself, or were they only sold together so youd have a bushier looking plant? or because its common for a few of them not to make it?
2 i read the profile thing for wisteria on this site, and it had 2 pictures on it: a broad leaf one that i believe it said was the immersed version, and a thin leaf one that was the submersed one. well, all the plants i got were with broader leaves, and ive submersed 3 of them. so if they were raised immersed, will submersing them kill them? and if not, will their leaves change as it grows?
3 one of the plants in in a tank that has holes in the top specifically designed to grow plants. but i just wanted to make sure that this plant will grow right if only its roots are actually underwater. i also wanted to know if it would still help filter the tank if its leaves are all above the water.
4 last question: if this plant grows in a certain place (for example, in the top of my second tank, or in the gravel of my first tank) will it be ok to uproot it and replace it somewhere else later? i know for sure that one of my tanks is a temporary tank, so i want to make sure its ok for it to even be there in the first place.

phew! sorry for all the questions, but i cant help but take advantage of all the super helpful people on here.. as a noobie, its really great to have access to that! :notworthy: :D:thankyou:

Aqua Jon 04-24-2011 12:21 PM

Hello luna :-) Don't worry about having many questions. It's how you learn and most people enjoy answering them to help people like you out. We have all be the newbie at one point or another. It may be a matter of time before you are sharing what you've learned with others joining the hobby. Hope I can help :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunawatsername (Post 657092)
ok, so i just got a wisteria plant today, and i have put some in each of my small tanks. but it raised a few questions for me..
1 the plant i bought came with a few different plants in one small tube, i put 3 of them in one tank and one in the other. was i suppose to plant them all together, and if i separate them will it kill the one by itself, or were they only sold together so youd have a bushier looking plant? or because its common for a few of them not to make it?

You may plant them together or separate. They are typically sold in groups so that you can have a bushier plant. If you'd like the plant to be bushier trim the top off (scissors or pinch w/ fingernails) and replant the tops nearby, but make sure there will be at least 2-3 groups of leaves on each. This particular plant can also grow by floating at the waters surface.

Quote:

2 i read the profile thing for wisteria on this site, and it had 2 pictures on it: a broad leaf one that i believe it said was the immersed version, and a thin leaf one that was the submersed one. well, all the plants i got were with broader leaves, and ive submersed 3 of them. so if they were raised immersed, will submersing them kill them? and if not, will their leaves change as it grows?

It sounds like you bought one of the plant tube either from Petco/Petsmart. I have bought this from them before, this plant specifically. Not all the plants they sell are for the aquarium though. However, this is, so no worries :-). Yes, the plant you bought is currently in an immersed growth form since the plants are grown by hydroponics. The plants will survive and their leaves will change as it grows depending on the amount/intensity of the light it grows under. It is interesting to experience this ability of wisteria. Give it time and it will grow.

Quote:

3 one of the plants in in a tank that has holes in the top specifically designed to grow plants. but i just wanted to make sure that this plant will grow right if only its roots are actually underwater. i also wanted to know if it would still help filter the tank if its leaves are all above the water.

I'm not sure that I understand entirely, but it sounds like you are trying to grow the plant(s) in immersed from. Assuming you are using wisteria, the plants should be able to grow with roots in the tank. The roots will absorb nutrients from the water column and the leaves will photosynthesize above with access to more CO2. However, the oxygen produced during photosynthesis will not dissolve into the tank. I don't know how effective a filter it will be, though I have read about similar experiments where immersed plants are the primary filter in the tank, but in those instances the tank also had many submersed plants as well.

Quote:

4 last question: if this plant grows in a certain place (for example, in the top of my second tank, or in the gravel of my first tank) will it be ok to uproot it and replace it somewhere else later? i know for sure that one of my tanks is a temporary tank, so i want to make sure its ok for it to even be there in the first place.

Yes you can, just be careful as the plant will develop a root system in the gravel. Avoid doing major damage and you will not see a big setback in growing the plant. The immersed or floating wisteria are easier to transplant because they have no physical attachments to be concerned of. Wisteria and many plants are relatively durable and incredibly tolerant of a range of conditions. Check the plant profile for wisteria again to see if you're tank specifications are within that tolerable range.

lunawatsername 04-24-2011 06:13 PM

thank you for the help! ive actually switched it up a little, 2 are floating in one tank and 2 are planted in the other, but im pretty sure all you said should still stand for them, so thank you :)and your right, i did buy it from petco :) though im really starting to wish that i had a petsmart close to me, because when i went in there yesterday, they only had like 4 or 5 different plants for sale, and not either of the ones i originally planned on getting... :/ oh well, im happy enought with wisteria. :) thanks again!

Aqua Jon 04-25-2011 12:23 PM

Well, from my experience it varies from store to store on the availability of any product. So don't feel too out of luck not having a petsmart near. Perhaps you can turn to the online dealers for plants if wish to add more live plants to your tanks. Personally I've used sweetaquatics.com and aquariumplants.com. SA is my number 1 choice, but AP is a good runner up. Hope your bettas enjoy their new greenery and that you enjoy it all too.