Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Trying to fishless cycle tank - Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/trying-fishless-cycle-tank-questions-68721/)

paige17 04-23-2011 02:36 PM

Trying to fishless cycle tank - Questions

Alright, so I have a 36 gallon tank and I started a fishless cycle about 3 weeks ago. I am cycling it by adding a small amount of flakes everyday. So far, I have added in a little bit of gravel from an established aquarium and I am planning to get some filter media soon. I also heard that you should raise your temperature to speed up cycling, so maybe I'll do that. The ammonia is only about .05ppm at the moment, and it hasn't gone higher than that for the whole time. I am using a strips multi-test kit, and the nitrite and nitrate levels are still at zero. I know the cycle is suppose to take 4-6 weeks, but I thought that some nitrites would have established by now. I am not sure if my ammonia level is too low or if there is anything else I should do but continue waiting?

Thanks in advance! :-D

Romad 04-23-2011 04:11 PM

Welcome to TFK :wave:

I'm a little confused about your post. Did you start cycling without filter medium or are you going to get some established filter medium from another tank and add it to your filter?

The majority of your beneficial bacteria will be living in the filter medium.

excal88 04-23-2011 07:01 PM

Actually a really fast and easily adjustable and controlled way of adding ammonia to your tank is to buy some ammonia peroxide at a local ace hardware. If you do it'll be their brand, not others. And just to make sure it's pure ammonia, shake the bottle or jug. If you see bubbles form and not dissapTe, kind of like soap bubbles that stay, do not buy it. Thateana it has additives, which can harm your tank. Also I recommend getting a API master liquid test kit off of amazon.com or your local fish store. Much more accurate than the test strips. Also, to really get the cycle going you need 3-5 ppm worth of ammonia; .05 won't feed the bacteria, or at least enough to get it started.

As mentioned above, getting some filter media, or even better, filter media from an established tank, is the best way to create a "home" for your bacteria buddies. Also if you want you can get some plants to help the process; Anubis plants and anachronis plants are pretty hardy and can help you speed up the cycle. Hope this helps!!
Posted via Mobile Device

LasColinasCichlids 04-23-2011 10:39 PM

You can try "feeding" the tank more fish food. As it can be difficult trying to figure out the right amount of fish food to get it to breakdown into enough ammonia for the tank to cycle.

paige17 04-24-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 656647)
Welcome to TFK :wave:

I'm a little confused about your post. Did you start cycling without filter medium or are you going to get some established filter medium from another tank and add it to your filter?

The majority of your beneficial bacteria will be living in the filter medium.

Well I started without any filter medium, but then a week ago I added some gravel from an established aquarium and I am going to be getting some more established filter medium as soon as possible.

- And thank you everyone else for the suggestions. Would I be able to go in and add the pure ammonia now?