Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Brown Spots! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/brown-spots-68662/)

FreshwataFish 04-22-2011 08:34 PM

Brown Spots!
 
Hi all,
some of my plants are getting small brown spots on their leaves and I was wondering what the heck they are and if i can get them off. They are not killing the plant but remain very unattractive. :-?
If you want to see the plant it's on the far corner.
<http://www.fishtanks.net/fishtank.php?fishtank=2488>

Byron 04-23-2011 02:23 PM

If the plant in question is the one in the back left corner, that is a sword, Echinodorus bleherae. If the brown spots are the two just visible on two of the leaves, that is a nutrient deficiency.

What fertilizers are you using, and how often?

Byron.

FreshwataFish 04-26-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 656552)
If the plant in question is the one in the back left corner, that is a sword, Echinodorus bleherae. If the brown spots are the two just visible on two of the leaves, that is a nutrient deficiency.

What fertilizers are you using, and how often?

Byron.

Posted via Mobile Device

FreshwataFish 04-26-2011 08:53 PM

The only fertilizer I am using and have ever used is flourish comprehensive. It is the one in the front right corner tho and all my other plants are doing very well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-27-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreshwataFish (Post 659484)
The only fertilizer I am using and have ever used is flourish comprehensive. It is the one in the front right corner tho and all my other plants are doing very well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't see the plant clearly enough in the photo to detect any spots. As for the sword I mentinoed, I wouldn't worry about those two small spots, they are nutrient-related and I see similar on some of mine from time to time. If they increase, mention it and I'll comment further, but for now the Flourish Comp is fine. A clear close-up of the front Ludwigia might allow me to see something.

redchigh 04-27-2011 01:44 PM

You could always give an extra dose of flourish one time and see if it helps.
Byron, didn't you say you do that from time to time?

Byron 04-27-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 659989)
You could always give an extra dose of flourish one time and see if it helps.
Byron, didn't you say you do that from time to time?

I was using Flourish Comp twice weekly. But one must remember that I have very soft water, so calcium, magnesium, sulphur which occur in most medium/hard tap water is totally missing in mine. I am now done to once a week, as I am experimenting a bit.

The tank with Flourite substrate is noticeably getting brush algae. This is a bit odd, as both Flourite and Eco-complete manufacturers claim this will not occur. As of this week, I am not fertilizing with liquid in this tank.

I am also trying magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salt, which is pure magnesium and sulphur) in two other tanks and this does seem to have had good results in now 3 weeks. Flourish only once in these tanks too. Back in the 1980's, with similar very soft water, I only used Epsom Salt [this was suggested in the plant column in FAMA back then] and had very good plant growth with less light than I now use and no other ferts. One has to be careful not to overdose magnesium, as this causes iron deficiency and other problems.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2