Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Question about driftwood (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/question-about-driftwood-68516/)

excal88 04-21-2011 02:15 AM

Question about driftwood

Hi, I just got a piece of driftwood for my tank 3 days ago, and I was wondering on whats the best way to prepare it. I read that boiling helps a lot, and I boiled it 4 times for about 10-15 minutes each time. However, it still makes the water a tea color, but when I soak it over night in warm water no tannins, or barely, get released into the water. Is it ready to be put into the tank? Or should I soak it some more in normal water, or boil it some more? Ever since I got it its been submerged in water, either warm or boiling. Thanks!

Amethyst123 04-21-2011 02:21 AM

Depends partly on the type of fish you have, as some prefer the darker water created by tanins. If your fish do just as well in clear water, and you don't want the tanins, you may have to soak the driftwood for up to two weeks. I believe that boiling it from time to time during this process would speed it up. After you boil the driftwood, do you leave it in the same water or rinse it and put it in clear water? If you're putting it in new water, it should probably be hot water, so that the tanins will continue to leach out faster. Colder water may slow down your process.

excal88 04-21-2011 02:30 AM

Well, when I'm boiling the water I replace it with warm water, but not hot water. And when I do soak it I soak it at the hottest water my bath tub can get me, and I leave it over night. When I leave it over night the tannins become less noticeable. So is it mainly a matter of personal preference then?

Eshnon 04-21-2011 02:51 AM

Set it, and forget it!

Lol just as the title suggests.. Set it and forget it. I've also read up on this topic.. as I've found some very nice driftwood I want to include in my 75 gallon. However, I dont want a tea color to my water.. lol. I read about someone boiling their driftwood for 4-7 hours and changing the water ever hour or so. It's worth it.. considering many who put driftwood in, and end up with tea color dont remove the color for over 6 months.. So I've read.. lol
-Keep an eye on it tho.. dont want all the water to evaporate and end up burning your driftwood.. lol that would be bad.
-Could let it set over night and let it get waterlogged, THEN boil it.. that would give the best results. And reduce the amount of time for boiling it :)

Amethyst123 04-21-2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excal88 (Post 654505)
Well, when I'm boiling the water I replace it with warm water, but not hot water. And when I do soak it I soak it at the hottest water my bath tub can get me, and I leave it over night. When I leave it over night the tannins become less noticeable. So is it mainly a matter of personal preference then?

Yeah, it's pretty much personal preference, unless your fish need the tanins to thrive. That would be true mostly of Amazonian fish, such as various tetras, including neon tetras. Also bettas, though not from the Amazon region, like tanins in their water, as it mimics their natural environment best.

excal88 04-21-2011 03:27 AM

Yea right now I just finished doing my 6th boil. It seems that the water isn't getting that much darker, but after I boil it another 1-2 more 10-15 minute intervals I'm probably going to let it sit in water in a bucket for a while. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated :)

Amethyst123 04-21-2011 03:40 AM

You're welcome!