Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Equipment for 100 Gallon Community (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/equipment-100-gallon-community-68510/)

turtle10 04-21-2011 01:20 AM

Equipment for 100 Gallon Community

So I just bought my first "big" tank. It is 100 gallons, comes with lights and a stand. It is currently on day two of the water test, so I am confident it will hold water in the long run (I got it off craigslist).

Anyways, I have no idea what equipment to get! Obviously a heater for my fish, but I am unsure of what type of filter to get. I don't think a sponge filter will be enough :P

I have heard the words "sump' and "overflow box" and "canister filter" being thrown around, what do these mean? Do I need them in my set up?

Here is a little more info on the future tank:

-freshwater
-76-80 temps
-I want to cycle it (nitrogen cycle)
- I want live plants (I think that means no Uv filtration, but I could be wrong)
-shrimp
-snails
-male betta
-10 female bettas (2 combined sororities)
-10 guppies (2 are male, if that makes a difference)
-7 albino cories
-5 rasboras
-tiger pleco

So what type of filters/heaters do you recommend for this tank? Is there any other equipment needed for a large tank? Do I need a power head? How will the water circulate throughout the whole tank? Will the filter be strong enough to circulate?

Sorry, so many questions! But I want to get this right, I would hate to lose my fish! Any other advice and wisdom pertaining to large tanks would be great!

Also, I have always done a fish-in cycle. Is it dangerous to do that in such a large tank?

Amethyst123 04-21-2011 08:39 AM

Unless you are planning to divide the tank, you need to reconsider your stocking plans. It is dangerous to put a male betta in a tank with a sorority of female bettas. Males and females should only be put together when both are ready to mate, and even then one or both can end up wounded or even dead. Also, male guppies can be attacked by a male betta, because their bright colors and flowing dorsal fins and tails can be mistaked for another male betta invading his territory. Female guppies might be safe with a male betta, but I've had some colorful females with pretty large tails, and I'm not sure I'd want to risk them with a male betta. I don't know if female guppies would be safe with female bettas, however, for the same reason male guppies might not be safe with a male betta. The bettas, male and female, will eat guppy fry, but then so will the adult guppies. You probably already know that. Also, are the female bettas already in a sorority with each other? If not, it might not work to put them together. Some of the females can get aggressive to other females, prevent them from reaching the top of the tank to breathe and eat, etc. I'm not sure about rasboras with bettas, but I think they would be less of a risk than guppies, because they have shorter fins and they are smaller. The cories, snails, and shrimp, at least some kinds of shrimp, are common tankmates for bettas and for guppies, so that should be OK, and rasboras with guppies are fine.

As for filtration - I personally like AquaClear, which has an adjustable flow rate. You might be better off with two smaller filters rather than one big filter, smaller being a relative term, of course. I have an AquaClear 70 on my 47g tank, so two of those should work for 100g. Bettas don't like a lot of current, especially those with long finnage, because it can cause too much drag with their fins. Also, filter intake tubes should be wrapped with netting or have a prefilter sponge or something, as betta fins/tails can be caught and torn in filter intake. This will also prevent small fish and fry from getting caught in the intake tube. Outflow may need to be baffled, to prevent the current from being strong enough to knock the smaller fish around.

Good luck!

turtle10 04-21-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amethyst123 (Post 654575)
Unless you are planning to divide the tank, you need to reconsider your stocking plans. It is dangerous to put a male betta in a tank with a sorority of female bettas. Males and females should only be put together when both are ready to mate, and even then one or both can end up wounded or even dead. Also, male guppies can be attacked by a male betta, because their bright colors and flowing dorsal fins and tails can be mistaked for another male betta invading his territory. Female guppies might be safe with a male betta, but I've had some colorful females with pretty large tails, and I'm not sure I'd want to risk them with a male betta. I don't know if female guppies would be safe with female bettas, however, for the same reason male guppies might not be safe with a male betta. The bettas, male and female, will eat guppy fry, but then so will the adult guppies. You probably already know that. Also, are the female bettas already in a sorority with each other? If not, it might not work to put them together. Some of the females can get aggressive to other females, prevent them from reaching the top of the tank to breathe and eat, etc. I'm not sure about rasboras with bettas, but I think they would be less of a risk than guppies, because they have shorter fins and they are smaller. The cories, snails, and shrimp, at least some kinds of shrimp, are common tankmates for bettas and for guppies, so that should be OK, and rasboras with guppies are fine.

As for filtration - I personally like AquaClear, which has an adjustable flow rate. You might be better off with two smaller filters rather than one big filter, smaller being a relative term, of course. I have an AquaClear 70 on my 47g tank, so two of those should work for 100g. Bettas don't like a lot of current, especially those with long finnage, because it can cause too much drag with their fins. Also, filter intake tubes should be wrapped with netting or have a prefilter sponge or something, as betta fins/tails can be caught and torn in filter intake. This will also prevent small fish and fry from getting caught in the intake tube. Outflow may need to be baffled, to prevent the current from being strong enough to knock the smaller fish around.

Good luck!

These fish are already together, I am just adding in the sorority. The male betta is fine with the rasboras and guppies.

In certain situations you can keep male and female bettas together, though it is not recommended for beginners. And I don't care if the fry get eaten, I am not trying to breed any of them.

I will check out the aquaclear, thanks!