Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Looking for LARGE PLANTS! Help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/looking-large-plants-help-68496/)

Eshnon 04-20-2011 09:38 PM

Looking for LARGE PLANTS! Help!

So,
For the past few weeks I have been searching the web before and after work for aquarium plants that will make amazing backrounds! However, all I've come across are plants that are either to large, or to small! :| A Grass like plant would be fantastic so that I can grow it in a mess, but would not like to to grow up to 2 feet! My tank measurements are, 48Lx18Wx21H. I mean.. something that grows up to 20 inches is fine.. but.. im worried of it growing passed that, you know? I will be having a baby's tears carpet, Amazon swords, Narrow Leaf Java Fern, and Anubias in the mix for the forground/midground. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also! I've ordered plants from this site just recently... The plants came in 2 weeks after I ordered, and in great condition. Only clue I could find to as why it came so late.. is on the packed it had a stamp from Singapore on it. lol This is the only site I could find that sold Nymphaea Rubra.. Beautiful plant.:-P
--> Aquarium plants - aquatic plants - Java moss <--

HMlairy 04-21-2011 04:07 AM

You could try ceratophyllum (hornwort), it grows 1-3 metres long and can tangle in a mass but also looks quite nice

Mikaila31 04-21-2011 11:59 AM

You just trim plants when they get too large... Your swords for example if they are one of the Larger species will get taller then 21". I have had some much Larger then that in an 18" tank I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-21-2011 12:53 PM

Those tank dimensions are the exact same as my 70g, so some suggestions are:

Aponogeton undulatus
Aponogeton crispus
Echinodorus bleherae
Echinodorus uruguayensis
Echinodorus major

These names are shaded meaning they are in our profiles, click the shaded name to see the info on them. [E. uruguayensis is not shaded, that is a problem with our programme, it is also in the profiles but you'll have to go to it directly.]

The leaves of the two Aponogeton and E. major will reach the surface and then float along it, which can be very useful. Almost all fish prefer floating plants or plant cover above them.

The other option are stem plants which as Mikaila said can be trimmed. I know this is rather tedious to some of us, I for one use mostly all non-stem plants because I like to have the plant grow and remain "as is" without my meddling. My Brazilian Pennywort is an ideal background plant with its striking leaf arrangement, but it needs weekly or at best bi-weekly trimming. But that is not impossible.

Byron.

Eshnon 04-21-2011 03:27 PM

Thank you :D

I actually have an amazon sword and some other species of sword... They are both in my 10, and growing. Kinda worried they will outgrow the 10, but that's kind of the point so I can move them to my 75. Thank you Byron for that list, was very awesome! Im more of a plant fanatic than a fish fanatic, but love fish no matter what. Yes and those dimensions are for a 75 gallon. :) Ill setup pics of my empty 75 and the equipment Im going to be using. As well as my 10 gallon setup that Im going to spruce up.
Ill order some of those plants when I setup the 75. Hehe, dont want THOSE growing in my 10 lol.:-D

Byron 04-22-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eshnon (Post 654828)
I actually have an amazon sword and some other species of sword... They are both in my 10, and growing. Kinda worried they will outgrow the 10, but that's kind of the point so I can move them to my 75. Thank you Byron for that list, was very awesome! Im more of a plant fanatic than a fish fanatic, but love fish no matter what. Yes and those dimensions are for a 75 gallon. :) Ill setup pics of my empty 75 and the equipment Im going to be using. As well as my 10 gallon setup that Im going to spruce up.
Ill order some of those plants when I setup the 75. Hehe, dont want THOSE growing in my 10 lol.:-D

The Aponogeton grow quite fast once they are in a suitable environment. The swords I find take some time to "settle" but with good nutrients (substrate fertilization works very well with swords that are such heavy feeders) growth can suddenly take off.

If you check the photos of my 115g tank, you'll see 3 E. bleherae at the "back" though they actually take up most of that tank, reaching the surface. In the later photos they have numerous inflorescences with adventitious plants, and I have a couple dozen of those growing out in my 10g and 20g. It is interesting how this plant grows slower in small tanks, for several months, and then placed in a larger tank will settle and shoot up.

SinCrisis 04-22-2011 10:13 AM

Vall is good if you want a grassy curtain.

Stem plants are the best if you are looking for tall, they can be trimmed easily and will jsut keep growing like nohting happened. If trimmed right, you can even get it to grow in a bushy formation, looks excellent.

redchigh 04-23-2011 11:06 AM

I'd reccomend Vallisneria and Echinodorus var Vesuvius (if you can find it), along with the swords Byron mentioned. He knows his Echinodorus species. lol.

MyLittlePleco 04-23-2011 12:37 PM

I would suggest Hornwort too based on my experience. They'll do well in a low-light setup. Mine are actually growing around 3cm a day with just a 30 watt flourescent in a 50 gallon tank.
On the plus side, they're also cheap, which would make buying them in bunches easy.
They're also very easy to trim, and the cuttings can be replanted instantly with no ceremony.

The only downside to Hornwort is that it's apparently a naturally floating aquatic plant, so it can (frankly speaking) be a real b***h to plant since it tends to float away. Having a sufficiently deep substrate should get you around this problem easily, though.

My larger trimmings are sending out stems like crazy too, although I do dose a significant amount of fertilisers daily, which may be a contributing factor to their rapid growth.

Eshnon 04-24-2011 01:06 AM

Thank you!

Awesome replies! I absolutely LOVE aquarium plants.. I moved to the city from the quiet woods of home where I grew a garden of vegitables and many herbs... Here in the city, I miss planting stuff.. now that I have an aquarium with plants, I couldnt be happier. Thank you for the input on the Vall. I like it a lot. I have a few sites with that plant, and will be ordering a few.
As for the swords, Im happy to hear that they will shoot up in bigger tanks.. I have 140lb of Eco Complete waiting to be used in my 75 gallon :) yay! and a 54 watt? A VERY bright light waiting to be used as well. Ill post info on my 75 once I set it up. :P Just havent had time to set it up because of moving to another apartment soon. :-)