Tropical Fish Keeping banner

DIY Brine Shirmp Cone?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Age of Aquariums 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on how to build a professional type brine shrimp hatching cone?

I have used soda bottles and water bottles and some eggs do hatch, but alot settle on the bottom and sides and are ruined, even with an air stone in the bottom of the bottle.

It is also a pain to suck start the siphon hose to fish them out.

I have seen lots of pro style brine shrimp hatching cones, but they run about $30 for the cheap ones, and $100 for more expensive!

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/6057

If i could build something myself id like to try and save the money.

I have tried to find a plastic cone at craft stores and pet supply shops but cant find anything.

I thought maybe a large funnel, or maybe just a strait tube might work, but i need some ideas.

This picture gives you the basic ideas of how it is supposed to work.

See less See more
#2 ·
Moved to DIY section for you.:)

#3 ·
Have you made one yet?

Why not make it four sided like the one in the link...used glass some silicone and a spigot valve (cheapest), wood frame..done.

Why are you wanting a commercial grade hatcher for cheap?

Dr Joe

#5 ·
Personnally, I use sun tea jars. All of shells sink to the bottom when the air is shut off and I just push on the dispenser and magic, brineys for the fish. I catch the water and return it to the jar. I keep 6 jars going constantly. I've been doing this for so long that I can't say how long it's been a part of my fish keeping. Long time.

#6 ·
You can also use 2 2 liter bottles to make a hatchery. Mine works pretty well. All I had to do was drill a hole in the cap and hook up an airline with a valve. Then you can close the valve after they hatch, and hold in over the aquarium, and open the valve, and all the BBS come out. (The second bottle is used as a stand.) I don't know if that helps. (I don't have the plans with me.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.