Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   hiding and refuses food (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/hiding-refuses-food-68438/)

JNB 04-20-2011 08:30 AM

hiding and refuses food

Size of tank? - 55 gal
2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? almost 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 0
d. pH, KH and GH? pH: 8.0 (can't really be lowered with my tap water)
e. Test kit? API

3. Temperature? 78

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up? 3 Mo.

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? pleco, neons, platy's, mollies, guppies.

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? no

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? live
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom? gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? hollow fake rocks

9. a. Filtration? yes - good
b. Heater? yes

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? 2x 54w t-5
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule? weekly
b. Volume of water changed?20%
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap
d. Water conditioner used? Yes
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Weekly

12. Foods? flake
How often are they fed? once per day

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? yes
b. Appearance of poop? ok
c. Appearance of gills? ok

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? for ich 2 weeks ago
b. What meds were used? malachite green

Two weeks ago I had 2 fish with ich, including this male platy (a mild infection). He was hiding a lot and when he came out I noticed the ich. I treated and since then he has constantly hidden and when he comes out he has clamped fins and eats little if anything. Now he is so thin that I doubt he will live and has a hard time staying straight in the water, but I think that may be because he is starving and dying as a result. These are the only symptoms. No inflamed gills. My other Platy has been fine. Also, a few days ago my khuli loach came out of hiding looking pale and three days later died. All of the other fish seem happy any healthy. Any ideas?

bettababy 04-24-2011 01:32 AM

It sounds like a bad reaction to the malachite green, not surprising, as it is a harsh medication that many fish can't handle. (please don't use that on these species of fish again)

There are safer ich treatments for the species you are keeping, if you need help with that in the future please let me know and I can suggest something for you.

How long did you treat the tank with the med? What make/model filter(s) are you running? What media in the filter(s)? How long since your last treatment? Have you tried to offer something other than tropical flake food to tempt the sick fish to eat?

Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done to treat medication toxicity in a fish once it has been exposed, especially to a full round of treatment. I can suggest some filter media to help make sure all of the medication is out of the water... and if you have a quarantine tank I can suggest some other things that may offer the fish a chance, but it sounds as if it is pretty far gone already. You may want to consider humanely euthanizing that fish to avoid further suffering.

Let me know what you wish to do and I will help all I can.

JNB 04-25-2011 01:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think you might be right about the malachite green, although I was not giving them a full dose. Fortunately everything else looks great right now. I tried a couple of different foods with no luck. It came out last night and looked really bad. I ended up euthanizing it. Oh well.