Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Accliming (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/accliming-68383/)

lanceq 04-19-2011 04:31 PM

Accliming

Accliming,aclimating?I dunno,what I mean is the procces when you introduce your new fish to your tank.
I've been to various pet stores and they all seem to suggest something different.
One said just to float the bags in the tank for 15-30 minutes the net the fish into the tank,another said to do samething but dump the whole bag contents into tank,next said to add a cup off tank water to the floating bag every 15 minutes for 45-60 minutes,and last and in my opinon the most absurd was to float bag and then empty a third out until only the fish were left?
So what is the perferred method here ,as this place has never steered me wrong so far and is such a helpful site to get advice8-)

lorax84 04-19-2011 05:03 PM

Here is what I do, I have never lost fish that I bought locally due to acclimation.

1. Float the bag in the tank for about 10-15 mins
2. Open the bag and roll down the edges so the bag still floats while open.
3. Add about 1/8-1/4 cup of water to the bag every 10 minutes or so (5 or 6 times) to bring the ph in line with your tank ph.
4. Net the fish out of the bag and put them in the tank.

Don't dump the water from the store in your tank, they could have treated the water with something that could harm your tank.

underh2o 04-19-2011 05:04 PM

Go Slow!! If you have a plastic container (Like they use in the store) Put the new fish in there with there water. Hang the container on the inside of the tank and very slowly (over a few hours is good) put in you tank water slowly acclimating them to there new environment. Dont forget these fish have been stressed from shipping . So go slow. When you release them do the best you can not to let any of the container water into your tank. Its easy!!

jeaninel 04-20-2011 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 653076)
Here is what I do, I have never lost fish that I bought locally due to acclimation.

1. Float the bag in the tank for about 10-15 mins
2. Open the bag and roll down the edges so the bag still floats while open.
3. Add about 1/8-1/4 cup of water to the bag every 10 minutes or so (5 or 6 times) to bring the ph in line with your tank ph.
4. Net the fish out of the bag and put them in the tank.

Don't dump the water from the store in your tank, they could have treated the water with something that could harm your tank.

This is what I do too.

lanceq 04-21-2011 10:40 AM

Awsome folks thanks,oddly enough that was the method I choose,lol.
Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track,thanks again for the advise;-)

raleej337 04-24-2011 12:09 AM

call me lucky but I have never acclimate any fish be it saltwater or freshwater and never lost one, i just net the fish from the bag and dump it in the tank. My only big no-no is putting the water from the bag into my tank.