Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   My Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-tank-68365/)

Boredomb 04-19-2011 11:30 AM

My Tank

Here is a couple of videos of my tank. I do have a question about the colombians is this normal behavior for them? My understanding they are suppose to be middle lvl swimmers right? My little guys/gals stay under that leave alot as you can see in one video, The other video is taken late that night with the lights off in the house. Do colombians need shade in the tank? Is it to bright for them in there? Is that why they hide of the leaf alot?

YouTube - colombian tetra 001 YouTube - colombian tetra 2 001

PS. Sorry for the shaky videos and the noise in one of them!!

Boredomb 04-19-2011 08:59 PM

Anybody? LOL

lorax84 04-19-2011 09:24 PM

I would increase the number of fish you have in the tank. Fish feel more secure in groups, adding a few more tetras will probably make the fish you have swim at the middle levels more.

Boredomb 04-19-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 653367)
I would increase the number of fish you have in the tank. Fish feel more secure in groups, adding a few more tetras will probably make the fish you have swim at the middle levels more.

Okay thanks I was wondering about that also I was just waiting till I got some issue work out on my tank before I added anymore fish think by next week I will add some tetra to it

Boredomb 04-20-2011 02:20 PM

Soo I went out today and bought two more Colombian tetra. I went in to get three which is all they had left and there was an accident with that little guy when the store owner tryed to get him. The heater fell on him :shock: poor little guy! Also picked up some otos which he had three of all in different tanks Soo I felt bad for then and I've been wanting some anyways. With that said my Colombians are much happier now come out of the shadows and swimming much more!:-D

lorax84 04-20-2011 02:26 PM

Thats good to hear. I meant to ask, how big is that tank? It looked like a 55 in the video. If that is the case you have a lot more room for fish.

Otos are really cool fish as well, you may also want to check out Corys for the bottom levels of your tank.

Boredomb 04-20-2011 03:49 PM

It is a 55 gallon, I have thought about some corys but I have been looking at some Burmese loaches

lorax84 04-20-2011 03:55 PM

I have never kept loaches, but it is my understanding that some loach species do not mix well with other bottom dwellers so you will want to take that into account. They also get pretty big (5") and need to be in groups of 5, but they are very good looking fish.

Boredomb 04-20-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 653978)
I have never kept loaches, but it is my understanding that some loach species do not mix well with other bottom dwellers so you will want to take that into account. They also get pretty big (5") and need to be in groups of 5, but they are very good looking fish.

I have read about them and I am not sure, I do like how they look and I think my setup and parameters will work for them as well. I don't know about the compatibility with other fish though so I will read more about them and ask around thanks!

I am just happy at the moment that my fish I have now seem happy for once!:-D