Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Cash gift amount for College Grad...?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/cash-gift-amount-college-grad-68331/)

aunt kymmie 04-18-2011 06:46 PM

Cash gift amount for College Grad...??

I just got a graduation announcement in the mail. It's for the olderst daughter of a couple that I have been good friends with for the last couple of years. What is an appropriate cash gift? I don't want to be cheap (because I'm not, lol) nor do I want to go way overboard.
What would be the proper amount in this situation?? I tried googling it and all the web pages that first pop up are all dated (2006, 2007,etc.) I need 2011 information! Thanks.

leogtr 04-18-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 652202)
I just got a graduation announcement in the mail. It's for the olderst daughter of a couple that I have been good friends with for the last couple of years. What is an appropriate cash gift? I don't want to be cheap (because I'm not, lol) nor do I want to go way overboard.
What would be the proper amount in this situation?? I tried googling it and all the web pages that first pop up are all dated (2006, 2007,etc.) I need 2011 information! Thanks.

you have known them for 2 years? are they good friends of yours? do you speak with them alot? their daugther too? do they show much appresiation for your friendship? how often do you guys get together? it depends on alot of things but just dont go bellow 100 dollars anything above that would be really kind on your part:)

aunt kymmie 04-18-2011 10:43 PM

Thanks, leogtr. That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. :-)

Romad 04-19-2011 05:26 AM

$100 sounds perfect if they're good friends of yours.

fish joey 04-22-2011 06:42 PM

I would say 100 if VERY good friends... like known since childhood ...otherwise 50 is more than enough...ps ....have daughter thats 22 :lol:

SeaHorse 04-22-2011 07:08 PM

One way to look at it is like this... do you have kids? What would you spend on your kids birthdays if you put money in a card. I don't have a huge income so my kids get $50 on a bday. I try to spend about $200 at Christmas. So $100 would be mega huge for me...since I couldn't do that for my own. A wedding gift from me would be $50-75-100.max. depends on how close they are to me.
I would also go $50 but that is JMO. A nice crisp $50 and a lovely card telling them how proud you are of them!
what did you end up deciding/doing?

iamgray 04-23-2011 11:51 AM

I'm 3 classes away from graduating... I'd be satisfied with $100000000. :-D

Seriously though... $50-100 would seem appropriate. If it were me, I'd be happy with any amount, as I wouldn't personally expect a gift at all from any of my parents friends.

edt: that's not a knock against any of my parents friends... they're all great people, it's just that I wouldn't feel that they owed me a gift.

aunt kymmie 04-23-2011 01:30 PM

I decided on $150.00. She has worked nearly the entire time she was attending college, I know for her it was a hard thing to accomplish, and you only graduate from college once. It was a huge achievement on her part, she's a great kid, and she deserves it. (Not to mention her parents are some of my closest friends) Thanks for advice, everyone!

leogtr 04-23-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 656484)
I decided on $150.00. She has worked nearly the entire time she was attending college, I know for her it was a hard thing to accomplish, and you only graduate from college once. It was a huge achievement on her part, she's a great kid, and she deserves it. (Not to mention her parents are some of my closest friends) Thanks for advice, everyone!

sweet that would make me veryvery happy:) I would be very shy and hesitant to take it though because that is still 150 dollars and to us college dudes that is muchmuch money and not easy for us to earn.