Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   water evaporation? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-evaporation-68319/)

Boredomb 04-18-2011 03:38 PM

water evaporation?

Okay this might be a stupid question but how important is it to have water evaporation in an aquarium? The way I have my lid I have very little if any because of how tight it is. Is this a problem?

bettababy 04-18-2011 06:06 PM

That should not be a problem as long as you are doing enough water changes to keep up with your water quality needs. Lack of evaporation is actually a good thing. The process of evaporation can jump ammonia, nitrite, and especially nitrate levels all over the place. Water evaporates, waste levels do not, thus the waste becomes concentrated in the water. This is why water changes require removal of water before adding clean water... and why topping off a tank from evaporation can make problems worse (or create problems to begin with).

bettababy 04-18-2011 06:07 PM

Forgot to add... just be sure there is some kind of circulation/ventilation at the water's surface for proper gas exchange (O2, CO2, etc).

Boredomb 04-18-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 652230)
Forgot to add... just be sure there is some kind of circulation/ventilation at the water's surface for proper gas exchange (O2, CO2, etc).

There is a gap between the water and the lid. I do have two holes cut in the plexiglass so the wires and hoses for the heater and filter to go in. So there should be some ventilation there I would think. Most of the the plexiglass is covered with condensation though.

Boredomb 04-18-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 652229)
That should not be a problem as long as you are doing enough water changes to keep up with your water quality needs. Lack of evaporation is actually a good thing. The process of evaporation can jump ammonia, nitrite, and especially nitrate levels all over the place. Water evaporates, waste levels do not, thus the waste becomes concentrated in the water. This is why water changes require removal of water before adding clean water... and why topping off a tank from evaporation can make problems worse (or create problems to begin with).

Thanks for that explanation on that!!

bettababy 04-18-2011 06:55 PM

You're welcome. Also, remember... the only "stupid question" is the one that isn't asked. :-)

Boredomb 04-18-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 652282)
You're welcome. Also, remember... the only "stupid question" is the one that isn't asked. :-)

Okay thanks :-D

Byron 04-19-2011 11:08 AM

My only comment is that my tanks have run for years just as you have described. I have glass covers on the larger and the normal hoods on the smaller, and these are not airtight so there is more air circulation than you might think. But in the morning the glass and hoods are covered with water that has condensed from the tank, since the water is warmer than the air, and it drips off heavily. On the morning I do the water change the amount of water than can run off one piece of glass is quite remarkable. Once the lights come on it obviously evaporates faster until the glass under the lights is dry. If your water is hard, the whitish deposit left on the glass will be the minerals, and that needs to be cleaned off weekly during the water change; even a very thin "haze" will significantly block light penetration.

Aside from the tank issues Dawn mentioned, having all that water getting directly into the room is not good for the house. Just like in a bathroom after a shower. Water condensing on the walls and ceiling will penetrate the surfaces. Best to limit that, and a good fitting hood/cover on the tank does.

Byron.

Boredomb 04-19-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 652839)
My only comment is that my tanks have run for years just as you have described. I have glass covers on the larger and the normal hoods on the smaller, and these are not airtight so there is more air circulation than you might think. But in the morning the glass and hoods are covered with water that has condensed from the tank, since the water is warmer than the air, and it drips off heavily. On the morning I do the water change the amount of water than can run off one piece of glass is quite remarkable. Once the lights come on it obviously evaporates faster until the glass under the lights is dry. If your water is hard, the whitish deposit left on the glass will be the minerals, and that needs to be cleaned off weekly during the water change; even a very thin "haze" will significantly block light penetration.

Aside from the tank issues Dawn mentioned, having all that water getting directly into the room is not good for the house. Just like in a bathroom after a shower. Water condensing on the walls and ceiling will penetrate the surfaces. Best to limit that, and a good fitting hood/cover on the tank does.

Byron.

Thanks Byron, It does leave a white haze on the lid I didn't put much thought in it being minerals and needed to wiped clean. I will start doing that with water changes.

Byron 04-19-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 652845)
Thanks Byron, It does leave a white haze on the lid I didn't put much thought in it being minerals and needed to wiped clean. I will start doing that with water changes.

Doing it weekly will be easier. The longer it stays, the harder it is to remove. I have very soft water, so there is minimal mineral deposits on my glass, but it still occurs. I "wash" the glass with paper towels, using the water on the glass, then buff them dry with a cloth towel. If the mineral deposit is stubborn, vinegar can be used in the water to wash it off, then dry it completely.