Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Buying Fish Online?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/buying-fish-online-68204/)

DeAnne 04-17-2011 09:30 AM

Buying Fish Online??

I was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable place you can purchase fish online? Long story short, I have about a dozen Threadfin Rainbow fish. Unfortunately I've lost a few females over the years & now have more males than females. They are no longer schooling like they use to. I have checked every LFS in my area, to no avail. I was always fearful about purchasing fish online - for obvious reasons, but I thought I would ask & see if anyone has done this before & knows of a reputable dealer. I also question if this would be too stressful for the fish?

I would want one day delivery & obviously will be home when delivered. Delivery charges isn't a factor. I would obviously pay a higher price from a reputable company.

I guess my questions are:

Any recommendations of on line dealers?
Is it too stressful for the fish?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

patadams66 04-17-2011 11:52 AM

Buy Tropical Fish, Goldfish and Aquariums for sale at AquariumFish.net, where you can Shop Online.

hey i have been looking and while i have not ordered yet, these guys seem to really have there stuff in order, i think i read something like 1 in 4000 DOA?

anyway thought i would reply take it or leave it!

TwinDad 04-17-2011 12:47 PM

I don't have experience in online. But I will add that unless your local Store raises it's own fish, they get them over night shipped from a breeder. So it's done more often then you might think.

DeAnne 04-17-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patadams66 (Post 650792)
Buy Tropical Fish, Goldfish and Aquariums for sale at AquariumFish.net, where you can Shop Online.

hey i have been looking and while i have not ordered yet, these guys seem to really have there stuff in order, i think i read something like 1 in 4000 DOA?

anyway thought i would reply take it or leave it!

Thank you very much for the link - 1 in 4000 are great odds. I will research their site. Thanks again!

DeAnne 04-17-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinDad (Post 650846)
I don't have experience in online. But I will add that unless your local Store raises it's own fish, they get them over night shipped from a breeder. So it's done more often then you might think.

I was thinking of that also. I am sure many stores have fish that arrived DOA. I guess my fear was a company not shipping them out promptly. I don't want the poor things in transit for a few days.

Thanks for your thoughts!

TwinDad 04-17-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeAnne (Post 650871)
I was thinking of that also. I am sure many stores have fish that arrived DOA. I guess my fear was a company not shipping them out promptly. I don't want the poor things in transit for a few days.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I was thinking about that too. I'm tempted to do the same thing, but I'm hoping that I can find what I want in Seattle.