- Other Pets (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/)
- - List of Toxic foods for dogs and cats. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/list-toxic-foods-dogs-cats-68137/)
List of Toxic foods for dogs and cats.
I was browsing some old posts and after reading through odd things to feed pets I though I should contribute this link.
Foods potentially poisonous to pets : The Humane Society of the United States
People may not realize that common human foods can be toxic, such as grapes or onions.
Thank you for reading =)
Thanks for posting the list on here! I know several dog and cat owners (including me) who would really appreciate that! A really helpful list. I wasn't aware of a bunch of that stuff.
I think it is funny how the list mentions "acoholic beverages", like anyone gives their pets acohol and didn't know it was bad for them.:lol: :roll:
you know,you'd be surprised at the stupid things people do.
i knew a man once who found it funny to give the dog beer,and watch it stagger home. :evil:
when i lived at home my dad taught our black lab to get him beer out of the fridge and would always pour a tiny bit out for her to lick up as a "reward" she lived to be 16 so no too dangerous.
the one i find funny is "Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans) " can you imagine giving a dog coffee. "my jack russeell just wasnt hyper enough"
Yeah that is awful. I don't understand how torturing an animal and confusing it is a source of entertainment. Hopefully there are enough caring and responsible pet owners out there to discourage this type of behavior.
I love my companions and I find it amazing that I get the privilege to share my life with them. If you think about all the doggies, fishies, and birdies in the world we have a one in a few billion chance to meet the ones we call our own. I find it our duty to have respect for this gift and always strive to provide optimal care.
My little random rant =)
Oh thanks for the list. I'm surprise Milk isn't on the list.
Along with the alcohol thing. My cats have quite happily consumed small amounts of grasshoppers(the drink) without any problems or affect what so ever.
Luckily I don't feed my cat any of that stuff anywaya :)
I was thinking, and I bet grapes are on there because they usually have sianide (spelled it wrong, I'm sure) on them. You know, the poison. That is why you should always wash grapes before you eat them!
This is copy and pasted from wikipedia.org::
Cause and pathology
The reason some dogs develop renal failure following ingestion of grapes and raisins is not known. Types of grapes involved include both seedless and seeded, store bought and homegrown, and grape pressings from wineries. A mycotoxin is suspected to be involved, but one has not been found in grapes or raisins ingested by affected dogs. The estimated toxic dose of grapes is 32 g/kg (1.1oz/kg) (grams of grapes per kilograms of mass of the dog), and for raisins it is 11–30 g/kg. (0.39 – 1.06 oz/kg)  Dogs suffer acute renal failure after ingesting 3 grams per kilogram of raisins or dry matter of grapes. (Dry matter is calculated as 20% of grape weight). The most common pathological finding is proximal renal tubular necrosis. In some cases, an accumulation of an unidentified golden-brown pigment was found within renal epithelial cells.
It doesn't seem to be related to the pesticide that we watch out for.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.|
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.