Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Rummy Noze (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/rummy-noze-68121/)

Christople 04-16-2011 10:39 AM

Rummy Noze

Hi I plan on getting a few rummy noses and a heavily planted ten. As of now the pH is 6.2 and I don't know the hardness but ADA brings it down. On the topic of hardness does API make a dGH test kit? My master test kit didn't come with one. and if the do what is the cost. I would expect my dGH is around 3 ish or so acording to m lfs test. What do you guys think.

TwinDad 04-16-2011 12:24 PM

Check with your water board they usually test those. If you can't find that on their website then call they should be able to tell you.

I also thought that either the profile or some regular say that Rummies need a large shoaling group of 10+. The profile says 6+

fish profile http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...my-nose-tetra/

Googling around I see test kits for $20.

Byron 04-16-2011 12:31 PM

Agree, contact your water supply folks, rather than wasting money for a hardness kit that you will likely never use after the first time.

With a pH of 6.2 you're probably fine. But this species is wild caught and sensitive, especially to "new" tanks.

And yes, rummy nose tetra should be in larger groups. This is one characin that almost always stays together as a group, it is about the closest thing to a true schooling fish that you can find in freshwater, thought most of the rasbora species are similar. But it should have larger groups. In my view, a 10g is not sufficient size. A 20g long (at 30 inches) would be the shortest tank I would put this species in. They do like to swim, end to end, usually in the evenings.

I have a group of 20 in my 115g, both the Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri) and the False Rummy Nose Tetra (Petitella georgiae). They remain together almost constantly, among the plants during the day (the P. georgiae are out a bit more than the others) and swimming back and forth for a couple hours prior to lights out. They do not like bright light overhead, so always have floating plants. And lots of substrate-rooted plants.

Byron.

Christople 04-16-2011 06:34 PM

well then I guess it is back to cardinals for me. M lfs tested the gh and is between 3 and 5 so there is perfect.

Byron 04-16-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 650124)
well then I guess it is back to cardinals for me. M lfs tested the gh and is between 3 and 5 so there is perfect.

Yes. Your water will suit both species. But I really would go with cardinals in a 10g (presumably 20-inch length) tank. I have a 10g running, and a 20g, and visually I cannot imagine a group of 12 rummys in either.

Those 20g long tanks are ideal for these fish; I don't have one, but I was looking at them recently and thought "if I had another shelf somewhere..." but my fishroom is now full so I'd have to construct a two-tier shelf to fit in any more tanks.:roll: A 20g long with rummys, a couple species of cory, sand substrate, lots of plants...wow.

Something else just occurred to me as I posted this. With that water, there is a host of fish species that others with hard water can only dream about, that are small and several could go in a 10g. If this is of interest, I can expand.

Christople 04-17-2011 10:24 AM

Please do and thanks for all the help. I was think some dwarf cichilid or a few clown killies or kilies but what co you think.... I am soooooooo glad I have this water too.

Byron 04-17-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 650639)
Please do and thanks for all the help. I was think some dwarf cichilid or a few clown killies or kilies but what co you think.... I am soooooooo glad I have this water too.

About the only dwarf cichlid suitable for a 10g would be a pair of Dicrossus filamentosus, though I would still prefer larger. Any of the Apistogramma would need at least a 24-inch tank, say a 15g or 20g.

Killifish are certainly viable. Other small fish are Ember Tetra, dwarf rasbora of the Boraras genus [Boraras brigittae is one in our profiles], Dario dario. Sparkling gourami. There are a few other dwarf gourami species, Eyespot Gourami is one, not too common though. Pencilfish, like the Dwarf Pencilfish, Coral Red Pencilfish or Purple Dwarf Pencilfish, Diptail Pencilfish. Not the Golden though, it is too active and needs a good sized group. For substrate fish, any of the three dwarf cory species are ideal. A single Farlowella vitatta would do a terrific job on algae, and it is an interesting fish. And shrimp would fare well with any of the afore-mentioned small fish.

Byron.

Christople 04-17-2011 03:32 PM

The tank measurements are the following, 20x12x10. Is four inches that big of a difference... I personally don't like the look of gouramis but it's just me, I thought the checker board cichilid likes bigger tanks. I will probably go with cardinals . How many clown killies could I have and could I mix them with other killies or is it a species tank... So I was thinking rams or Apisto cactouides if thats how you spell it.

Byron 04-17-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 650943)
The tank measurements are the following, 20x12x10. Is four inches that big of a difference... I personally don't like the look of gouramis but it's just me, I thought the checker board cichilid likes bigger tanks. I will probably go with cardinals . How many clown killies could I have and could I mix them with other killies or is it a species tank... So I was thinking rams or Apisto cactouides if thats how you spell it.

Apistogramma I mentinoed need more space, check our profile, that species is included, Apistogramma cacatuoides. The issue is the fish, not the water volume. Males can get quite nasty toward females outside of spawning, and in small spaces she may well get killed. I have had this occur even in a very large tank, with my Bolivian Rams. A pair of blue ram is possible. Always acquire them together, and make sure they are a mated pair. Their behaviours in the store tank are obvious. Not every male will accept every female.

Killies I have very limited experience with, from the 1980's and only another species, the Australe.

Christople 04-18-2011 07:30 PM

Oh I see now... thanks I will go with rams for the fish because I have a lot of experience with them and I have a hug tub that I have set aside for babies to grow and I might be able to make a buck.