Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Spreading disease from one tank to another.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/spreading-disease-one-tank-another-68094/)

Neutron 04-15-2011 08:22 PM

Spreading disease from one tank to another..

Here's a question about something that never really occured to me until today.

I have three different fish tanks, a 10 gallon , a 5.5 gallon and a 1.5 gallon betta tank. I use the same bucket/siphon for the two bigger tanks and one tank had a disease outbreak and I used the same bucket/siphon on all the tanks, so would the disease be spread?

I always rinse them in really hot water before using them on different tanks but is this good enough to get any disease off? I have separate nets for each tank but am I just being paranoid ..

GwenInNM 04-15-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neutron (Post 649483)
Here's a question about something that never really occured to me until today.

I have three different fish tanks, a 10 gallon , a 5.5 gallon and a 1.5 gallon betta tank. I use the same bucket/siphon for the two bigger tanks and one tank had a disease outbreak and I used the same bucket/siphon on all the tanks, so would the disease be spread?

I always rinse them in really hot water before using them on different tanks but is this good enough to get any disease off? I have separate nets for each tank but am I just being paranoid ..

I would think if you rinse in hot water you are probably safe, though not completely. I think it's unlikely that you have to worry that much. If you let the equipment dry off first between tanks you are probably good because parasites don't live once there is not water.

LasColinasCichlids 04-15-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 649508)
I would think if you rinse in hot water you are probably safe, though not completely. I think it's unlikely that you have to worry that much. If you let the equipment dry off first between tanks you are probably good because parasites don't live once there is not water.

Not to mention that after 24-72 hours most parasites cant live without a fish host and die off, so I think you are good too.

trit0n2003 04-15-2011 10:58 PM

i would clean off all the equipment with a bleach/hot water solution (kill everything thoroughly and leave nothing to chance), just fill a bucket with water and put the bleach in it and soak everything inside and out.

Then if you are like me and knew you had an outbreak happening in one and used the same equipment for the multiple tanks i would treat every tank to stop any possible spreading of parasites or bacteria to the others. Then after treatment of all the tanks you should be good, and if the one tank that had the initial outbreak is still having problems get some equipment to use on that tank alone until the problem is resolved, and itll come in handy if it ever happens again.

This happened to me once, after that i got multiple buckets and what not to keep the tanks maintenance separate but that was my preference.

LasColinasCichlids 04-15-2011 11:03 PM

I would advice against the bleach, as any residue in the bucket or siphon can kill fish.

I also would advice against treating all your tanks for something they dont have, as most meds can cause more damage than good, especially if that fish isnt in need of the med.

Hot water, set to dry, a couple of days apart...that is the safest way without having multiple pieces of equipment.

I have a seperate bucket for my 2 tanks at the moment, but only one gravel vac. And when the smaller one gets tripled in May, I will be using the same bucket. Hot water, drying, and a couple of days is what I will be using to ensure safety and limiting of any trasfers of illnesses.

trit0n2003 04-15-2011 11:09 PM

I guess it is up to preference, you have to really rinse anything you use bleach on.

I just did not want to risk my discus, angelfish, etc. Worked just fine for me.