Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Dillon and his Rubber Donkey (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/other-pets/dillon-his-rubber-donkey-68025/)

SeaHorse 04-15-2011 12:13 AM

Dillon and his Rubber Donkey

This is my Wire Haired Fox Terrier Dillon. He is 2 years old in this video. It was taken about a week ago. It is just a rubber donkey squeakie toy but it makes me laugh to see him shake himself in circles!!
Enjoy!! More videos of Dillon to follow!

SeaHorse 04-15-2011 07:48 PM

Here is one when he was one year old playing by himself in the back yard with a tennis ball. Sorry he goes off screen a bit. But makes up his own fun. Yes I made his coat for him.

Romad 04-16-2011 07:04 AM

I love these vids. Dillon is adorable with such a cute face. I was cracking up at the first one.
Thanks for sharing.

We're thinking of getting a smallish dog sometime this spring. How big will he get?

SeaHorse 04-16-2011 04:14 PM

Thank you Romad! He makes me laugh so much. He's so smart. I have another video of him with the dilemma of 3 tennis balls in a small wire garbage can, trying to figure out how to get them out.
He really isn't considered small tho. He is 2-3 inches taller than my mini-schnauzer and at least 4-5 inches longer. That changes everything... That means he can get in and out of the tub, get on the kitchen table to steal food by jumping on a chair, get a drink out of the toilet. All things that the mini schnauzer can not do. Which means you have to be very cautious of what you leave out / open. And he is a terrier. He is intense, in your face, and does not listen to me, would just as soon run and not look back. (he has a "motivational collar" if I need it. I only have to turn it on now to get his attention cause it beeps. I rarely have to use it.)
If you are not prepared for that intensity then don't pick a terrier, that means a jack russell especially. Hope this helps. Just research the breeds to see how it will fit into your lifestyle. Possibly a blend of two breeds.
So before you make the leap to "terrier world" do your research!!!
Do you have dogs now? so that you know what I'm talking about?

Romad 04-16-2011 04:59 PM

I don't have a dog now and we always had mini. schnauzers growing up. I would love one of those but they're hard to find in shelters. I was also thinking a pug but those go quickly too. I do see a lot of terrier mixes on the adoption sites and i'm aware of how energetic the jack russels can be - I guess i'm looking for a medium energy dog.

The only other criteria is that it has to be smallish but it doesn't have to be a mini. and it has to be a rescue dog.

Thanks for the info.

SeaHorse 04-16-2011 06:14 PM

Sadly there are just as many pure breds in shelters as there are mutts now a days!! Good for you for adopting a shelter dog. An other place to find a schnauzer if that is what you think you want (I love them!!), is to contact the schnauzer breeders and look for a mature / retired breeding female. OR my breeder has a clause in her agreement, beside spay/neuter being a MUST, that if you cannot care for their dog, that you return it to the same breeder to find a new home for it. So you might just find a mature fully trained dog sitting in the home of a local breeder. And the breeders all know each other, so one will know if a home is needed for another's dog. Just a thought!!

konstargirl 04-20-2011 11:07 AM

He's a cute dog. :)

Too many of these dogs and cats are over breed and some developed health problems. I rather adopt a pet from a shelter like you said and getting them spayed or neutered.

aunt kymmie 04-20-2011 11:32 AM

LOL, cute videos! Dillon is adorable! What a face. :-)