Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Platy fry growing slow? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/platy-fry-growing-slow-67916/)

surfnchk 04-14-2011 02:19 AM

Platy fry growing slow?

I have a 30 gallon tank with platies and I usually find a baby platy after cleaning my gravel during water changes. I have about 12 baby fry now and have placed them all in a net breeder in the same tank. The first 3 I found have grown to about 1/2 inch but that took like 3-4 months. I'm wondering what the growth rates are (normal ones). Should I keep them in the net breeder or should I move them to a seperate tank all together?

If I need to move them to a seperate tank....is there a special set up?

Thank you all for your help

AbbeysDad 04-14-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfnchk (Post 647777)
I have a 30 gallon tank with platies and I usually find a baby platy after cleaning my gravel during water changes. I have about 12 baby fry now and have placed them all in a net breeder in the same tank. The first 3 I found have grown to about 1/2 inch but that took like 3-4 months. I'm wondering what the growth rates are (normal ones). Should I keep them in the net breeder or should I move them to a seperate tank all together?

If I need to move them to a seperate tank....is there a special set up?

Thank you all for your help

What are you feeding them? Some baby brine shrimp will accelerate growth rates.
I don't know what all else you have in your tank, but once the fry are 1/2" to 3/4" (about the size of a neon tetra) they won't be seen as food by mom and dad any more and can go right in the big tank.
One caution though - if your platy's are anything like mine, the adults shoot like rockets as soon as any food hits the water so make sure the little guys get enough to eat.

If you're thinking about a separate tank the requirements are pretty much the same with a consideration about filtration with very small inlet and reduced water flow (less current). Sponge filter is great. It's often handy to have no gravel in fry tanks (although I've also used UGF's in fry tanks). But you should try to have some plants, real or plastic, so it's not a 'lab' environment.

surfnchk 04-14-2011 04:49 PM

Thanks so much for your reply :)
I think I will set up a seperate tank for them and do a sponge filter. I'm afraid they will get sucked up into a different filter. How long did your platy fry take to reach adult size with coloring? The 3 bigger ones that are in the net breeder are still pretty small and it seems like it has taken them forever to reach this size.

Do you think it's best not to put in any gravel? My platies are very hungry as well and pretty much zoom in to grab the food.

AbbeysDad 04-14-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfnchk (Post 648204)
Thanks so much for your reply :)
I think I will set up a seperate tank for them and do a sponge filter. I'm afraid they will get sucked up into a different filter. How long did your platy fry take to reach adult size with coloring? The 3 bigger ones that are in the net breeder are still pretty small and it seems like it has taken them forever to reach this size.

Do you think it's best not to put in any gravel? My platies are very hungry as well and pretty much zoom in to grab the food.

The 20 red wag platy fry I have right now are just approaching 2 weeks old so I can't really answer your question about growth rate - last time I raised fry was 20 years ago :)

A sponge filter will work well