Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Silver Dollars: Metynnis argenteus vs. Metynnis hypsauchen (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/silver-dollars-metynnis-argenteus-vs-metynnis-67865/)

fashionfobie 04-13-2011 01:46 PM

Silver Dollars: Metynnis argenteus vs. Metynnis hypsauchen

Metynnis argenteus vs. Metynnis hypsauchen

I am still a little unsure the difference between these two species. I have researched lots of sites and I am still finding conflicting information. I did read the information on this site as well but I would like to know more.

Does Metynnis argenteus have the red anal fin ?

How do you distinguish the difference when they are young? or is the color present throughout its life?

I seem to prefer the fish with the splash of red but considering how frequently these guys are labeled incorrectly I want to be 100% sure of what I am getting.

I have a 55 gallon set up and I know these are what I want. I find them so adorable and beautiful, the prefect combo. I am planning on getting 5. My tank is about 3 years old and I have really been pondering where I want to go with it. I have a school of 6 Panda Corydoras keeping the up the place :) The big delay is probably due to the fact that I have always had a soft spot for pacu, but they are not really appropriate for me since they will get so large and need a multi hundred gallon tank. These silver dollars, being relatives of pacu, seem like a perfect choice for me and I am very anxious for more feed back on distinguishing the difference between these two species.

Thank you very much,
Natalie

Byron 04-13-2011 05:51 PM

The distinguishing feature (the shoulder patch) between these two species is mentioned in the first paragraph under "Discussion" in our profile of Metynnis hypsauchen, and there is a photo of each species.

The red colour of the anal fin is sometimes, but not always, present in males of Metynnis argenteus. I note it is present in the fish in the photo in the profile.

I don't know how mature the fish has to be before the shoulder patch is noticeable, but I would expect it to be darker in young fish. If anyone here has maintained this species, perhaps they could comment.

Byron.

fashionfobie 04-13-2011 06:22 PM

Thank you for your post, I missed that bit about shoulder patch. I am very happy to find out that both have the potential to present the red anal fin. I found a breeder who works with Metynnis hypsauchen. I am very excited to prepare my tank. Java Fern and Anubias here we come ;)

Again thank you,

Natalie

Byron 04-13-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fashionfobie (Post 647431)
Thank you for your post, I missed that bit about shoulder patch. I am very happy to find out that both have the potential to present the red anal fin. I found a breeder who works with Metynnis hypsauchen. I am very excited to prepare my tank. Java Fern and Anubias here we come ;)

Again thank you,

Natalie

Just to clarify, I believe the "possible" red anal fin in the male is only in M. argenteus. B.

fashionfobie 04-13-2011 07:06 PM

wow I seem to be mis-computing today. I will blame it on my french mind :oops: