Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Water Changes (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-changes-67864/)

alidawn15 04-13-2011 01:46 PM

Water Changes

How often would you change the water in my tank with no testing kit.

I have a 10 gallon with 1 male betta, 1 golden apple snail, 3 ghost shrimp, and +/-3 pond snails, 2 big chunks of hornwort, a few stems of anacharis,1 jungle val, 2 Sagittaria Subulata(Dwarf) and a few moneywort stems. Also, how would that change after adding 3 neon tetras? and then 3 more for a total of 6? I change it every 3-4 days as the snail poo builds up and worries/annoys me.

The testing kit is out of the question for now as there are things higher on the priority list and money is very short.

DKRST 04-13-2011 02:05 PM

The answer depends on more info. What type of filter, what % water change, how much food, type of food, etc. You may want to try www.AqAdvisor.com for a ballpark estimate on stocking and water changes. The more you feed/overfeed, the more and larger water changes you'll need. Most of us overfeed without realizing it :-)
More water changing is usually safer than less...

alidawn15 04-13-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 647204)
The answer depends on more info. What type of filter, what % water change, how much food, type of food, etc. You may want to try www.AqAdvisor.com for a ballpark estimate on stocking and water changes. The more you feed/overfeed, the more and larger water changes you'll need. Most of us overfeed without realizing it :-)
More water changing is usually safer than less...

AqAdvisor says to do quite a bit less than I'm doing. There is no filter except for the plants. I feed betta pellets to the neons and betta that get inhaled almost immediately. The snails and shrimp have algae wafers. Maybe a fourth of one every couple days just to make sure since I can't tell how much algae they get off the plants. I'm just curious how what I do compares to what others would do.

Recommended water change schedule: 23% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 86%.

^^That's with an added blue apple snail.

DKRST 04-13-2011 02:21 PM

Sounds like you have it under control. I change about 40-50% in my tanks each week. Sometimes in one large change, usually in 2 smaller changes.

AbbeysDad 04-13-2011 02:43 PM

I'm gonna vote 25% weekly, religiously. You can do a bit more if your bored, but if you are feeding properly and are not over stocked, 25% in a cycled, stable tank should be sufficient.

Also, unless it's a planted tank, I believe the weekly WC should be done with a gravel siphon to remove as much crud from the gravel as possible so it does not become a nitrate factory.
Make sure the water that goes back in has the appropriate temperature and is treated as/if necessary for chlorine.