Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Heater suddenly gets way too hot...Defective?

15K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  champakkadan 
#1 · (Edited)
So I got a fully submersible heater (Aquaclear 20) that came with the tank set up for a 20 gallon and I've had the tank running for about 5 weeks now and I've never had a problem with the heater, never drained the water past the safety line or hit it or anything like that. I've had it set to 75 and it was perfect and has always stayed at that temperature.

Well the other morning I opened the cover to feed the fish and I felt this intense heat come out of it. I looked at the thermometer and it was 86! I got scared and quickly unplugged the heater. I read somewhere that the thermostat can get stuck in the "on" position. Is this true? I plugged the heater back in eventually and for one day it was right at 75 as it should be. Now tonight, a day later, it's creeping right back up into the 80s so I unplugged it again. Is this a common thing with heaters or is mine just a cheap model or defective?

Also, since day one I noticed there have been moisture droplets, almost like condensation inside the heater like where the pilot light is and I'm just now starting to connect the two. I don't know if this condensation inside the glass is normal.Thanks

#4 ·
Yep...The first sign of heater trouble not related to tweaking the settings to dial-in desired temperature, the heater MUST be replaced - no second chances to kill your stock.

#7 ·
This happened to my fish this afternoon. When i left home my fish were fine and upon returning home in 2 hours i found all my fish died and i was not ever unable to touch the 30-gallon aquarium as it was burning hot. I am so sad that all my fish died. Still not sure what happened and hoping something wrong with the heater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.