Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Eheim 2213 filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-eheim-2213-filter-67794/)

iamgray 04-12-2011 02:09 PM

New Eheim 2213 filter

It came in the mail today... w00t w00t!!!! I'm really looking forward to setting it up tonight. It has been a morning from H.E.double hockey sticks and I think puttering about with my aquarium is just the therapy I need. :)

My tank is 67g, planted, pool filter sand substrate, driftwood, and a few larger rocks piled into caves. I plan to not use carbon in the filter... if I put in the ceramic rings from my Aquaclear instead of carbon, will that be enough to not start a new cycle? Should I also cut the old sponge up into smaller cubes and put them in there as well? Or should I run both filters simultaneously for awhile?

leogtr 04-12-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgray (Post 646357)
It came in the mail today... w00t w00t!!!! I'm really looking forward to setting it up tonight. It has been a morning from H.E.double hockey sticks and I think puttering about with my aquarium is just the therapy I need. :)

My tank is 67g, planted, pool filter sand substrate, driftwood, and a few larger rocks piled into caves. I plan to not use carbon in the filter... if I put in the ceramic rings from my Aquaclear instead of carbon, will that be enough to not start a new cycle? Should I also cut the old sponge up into smaller cubes and put them in there as well? Or should I run both filters simultaneously for awhile?

I love the 2213! I have it in a 20 gallon:)

I would run both filters thats a good idea!

aunt kymmie 04-12-2011 04:53 PM

+1, I'd run both filters simultaneously for a few weeks.
H.E. double hockey sticks?? I'll have to remember that one! :lol:

underh2o 04-12-2011 05:11 PM

I agree with Kymmie! Run them both for a t least two weeks and maybe more (no rush) You will love the 2213 . With a little care it will run for years.

iamgray 04-12-2011 10:44 PM

Thanks for the replies! (And Kymmie, i thought H.E.double hockey sticks was a common phrase... maybe it's just because I'm Canadian, eh?) Forgive me if this question makes me seem a bit thick... but I'm just curious about what the difference is between running both filters simultaneously, and moving all of the old filter media into the new filter?

And, puttering with the fish tank will have to wait another day or two. Poop. I had other work to do that took longer than I thought. :(

iamgray 04-22-2011 10:41 PM

Massive thread bump!!!!

So the waiting "another day or two" turned into MANY days, as I just set the filter up tonight... as suggested, I am leaving the AquaClear running for a couple weeks alongside the Eheim.

And now for a few more questions, which are possibly stupid. The stiff tubing (elbow shaped) that attaches to the output hose sticks out really awkwardly and I don't like it... my stupid question is, does the spray bar have to be horizontal in the tank? And does it have to be above the water line? Right now it's stuck on an angle under the water, due to the shape of the stiff piece... I'm thinking of ordering another J shaped piece like the one that the intake strainer thing attaches to, and using that on the spray bar instead of the elbow piece, and then the spray bar will be vertical instead of horizontal.

Also, to make as little of a current as possible, is it ok to turn the spray bar so the holes point at the glass on the back of the tank?

And a side note... for a person setting up their first ever canister filter, the Eheim instructions were GARBAGE... I had to google installation instructions and found some that someone had typed out on another forum.

Boredomb 04-22-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamgray (Post 656184)
Massive thread bump!!!!

So the waiting "another day or two" turned into MANY days, as I just set the filter up tonight... as suggested, I am leaving the AquaClear running for a couple weeks alongside the Eheim.

And now for a few more questions, which are possibly stupid. The stiff tubing (elbow shaped) that attaches to the output hose sticks out really awkwardly and I don't like it... my stupid question is, does the spray bar have to be horizontal in the tank? And does it have to be above the water line? Right now it's stuck on an angle under the water, due to the shape of the stiff piece... I'm thinking of ordering another J shaped piece like the one that the intake strainer thing attaches to, and using that on the spray bar instead of the elbow piece, and then the spray bar will be vertical instead of horizontal.

Also, to make as little of a current as possible, is it ok to turn the spray bar so the holes point at the glass on the back of the tank?

And a side note... for a person setting up their first ever canister filter, the Eheim instructions were GARBAGE... I had to google installation instructions and found some that someone had typed out on another forum.

LoL I hated the instruction on my eheim also! To answer some question: No the spray bar does not have to horizontal I have my at a diagonal because I wanted some current from end of the tank to the other and that was the only way I could get my spray bar to fit on the width of my tank. I also I have my spray under the water level and it seems to work fine.It is fine having the holes pointed at the wall. You can also control the amount of current with the valves but that also controls the volume soo I am not sure if you want that or not just an option.

DKRST 04-22-2011 11:03 PM

I have a 2217, it's great. I wanted less flow, so I purchased an extra spray bar. I then drilled both spray bars and put them together with a 1" piece of clear tubing from Lowes (my water siphon hose). The current's perfect, although now I have a 24" spraybar along the back of my tank. With a 55 gallon, even one spraybar won't fit in the width. I tried pointing it at the back wall, but I like the effect of a few plants gently moving.

You don't need two spray bars, the drilling of extra holes works well - just be careful not to drill through the back side by accident! If you reduce the flow, make certain to use the valve only on the outflow (return to the tank) side to avoid impeller damage!

My next project is to use a heat gun to bend the Eheim rigid tubing. I'll fill the tube with sand to avoid kinking it. It is an awkward tube design.

Boredomb 04-22-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 656199)
If you reduce the flow, make certain to use the valve only on the outflow (return to the tank) side to avoid impeller damage!

Oops thanks DKRST forgot to mention that part.

iamgray 04-23-2011 12:28 AM

Thank you both for the tips! I have the spray bar turned to face the glass now and I think that's all I need to keep the current down... after seeing the mention of a heat gun to reshape the rigid tubing, I had a brief moment where I thought "hey, that's a good idea... maybe I can borrow one from work for an evening and try that..." buuuuuuut I'll probably just order the same piece as the intake tube and end up ordering a bunch of other things that i don't really need, because that's just the way i roll. 8-)