8 ppm ammonia readings with fish alive?
I have a 10 gallon tank with three fish in it that has been running for over a month now and everything seemed to be going good..Recently i bought an api master test kit and the ammonia levels read 8 ppm, everything else seemed fine. I brought it to a fish store to verify and the reading is correct.. also did a test on bottled water and tap water to make sure our test kit was accurate. Tap water said 1ppm which seems bad too. The weird thing about all of this is the fish are acting completely normal! The only odd thing is our live plant has died but we put it in pure tap water for a day because and we just think that is why it died. Did a 30% water change followed by a 20% later that day and the ammonia levels didnt even go down at all. Fish store reccomended ammo-lock but i read that the test kit will still say ammonia is present because it doesnt remove it.. so it just seems like a temporary fix not a solution. so im completely confused and need advice!
Ammonium is harmless, ammonia is toxic.
Both will show up on an ammonia test. How long has your tank been cycled? I would assume it's uncycled or overstocked, but some people get amonium out of their tap that never goes away.
When you say 'fine', what are your nitrates? If they're zero, then your tank isn't cycled.
What kind of fish do you have?
This happend to my brother's goldfish tank once. It read 8ppm w/ accurate liquid testing. Not good at all, I am suprised his fish lived.
What fish do you have in your 10 gallon tank? Sounds like it may be severely overstocked. Many, many fish aren't suitable for a 10g tank. Telling us what fish you have can help us help you with your serious problem.
Also, over an extended period of time, 1 part per million ammonia can be very dangerous. Over a short period of time. The presence of ammonia is hazardous. Have you cycled the tank, are you familier with the Nitrogen Cycle?
There is a de-chlorinater called Prime that will remove some Ammonia. It is $10 and will treat 2500 gallons. It is cheaper than most dechlorinators in the long run. The presents of ammonia may still test present after use, but it may not be there. Prime breaks down ammonia and makes it still existant for testing, but not harmful to fish.
Don't panic, the ammonia might well be ammonium. Whats your ph?
When i tested yesterday nitrates were 10-20 ppm, i just re-tested and it is between 0-10 ppm.
We have 3 fish in the tank
2 albino cories
1 3 in black ghost knife fish ----before anyone yells at me about this i know. the 10 gallon is a very very temporary home we have a 55 gallon tank cycling right now to put him in and are willing to buy a larger tank as he grows.
Oh and ph is 7.4 ish.
Ok. Corydoras are school/shoaling fish. They need a group of no less than 3, but preferably at least 4 and preferably a minimum of 6 if space allows (which in your case it doesn't yet). Keep that in mind.
Also, the minimum tank requirement for BGKF is 75 gallons. The big difference between standard 55 and 75 gallon tanks is the width is alot wider on a 75 gallon tank.
Also, lower the nitrate the better. 20 isn't too incredably bad, 10 is better, and 0 is best (in most cases).
Also, that pH is probably abit high for Black Ghost Knife fish. Don't go and change the pH just yet, any flucaution in pH can result in dead fish. pH should be changed very slowly and steadily. You need to seek advice on that, because I am not an expert on the topic (it may not be a concern, idk), but for now, sit tight and don't attempt to change it.
if it was truly ammonia and not ammonium wouldnt the fish be acting very odd or showing signs of ammonia poisoning.. or be dead? I know for a fact there are chloramines in the tap water could it just be that showing up on the test kit? I just dont know if i should be buying ammo chips or ammo lock or just leaving it alone!
Oh and yea we know about the schooling thing, we were going to have 6 in the 55 gal and buy 1 more for this small tank and add a betta or something. that ofc when the bgk is out of his teeny home.
Your fish are only somewhat hardy. You have a point, they would probably be dead. I don't know, I can't garantee that it isn't ammonia. Many times, there isn't alot of before signs, ammonia can kill silently.
I have heard bad things about AmmoChips and stuff similar. I can't recomend or suggest against it at this time, though.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.