Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   First fishies. Any tips? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/first-fishies-any-tips-67739/)

Glassfish 04-11-2011 07:40 PM

First fishies. Any tips?

Went to the petco today and bought a couple fish for my 2 gallon tank. Two neon tetras and one orange platy. What do you think? Is it over crowded, or am I doing ok? If it is to much for the tank I can transfer them to my other ten gallon tank which already has these type of fish in it. If you have any tips or comments I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Rachel
Posted via Mobile Device

Christople 04-11-2011 07:57 PM

neons like groups of six and the mollie I am not sure it should be in there.

LasColinasCichlids 04-11-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassfish (Post 645728)
Went to the petco today and bought a couple fish for my 2 gallon tank. Two neon tetras and one orange platy. What do you think? Is it over crowded, or am I doing ok? If it is to much for the tank I can transfer them to my other ten gallon tank which already has these type of fish in it. If you have any tips or comments I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Rachel
Posted via Mobile Device

Neons need groups, and a group is too big for a 2 gal. You said you have neons in your 10? If so, move these guys to your 10 gal.

The platy is all the fish that tank can handle as long as it has a filter and heater. Luckily a platy isnt a fish that MUST have friends.

Two gallon tanks are limited on fish options. Pretty much a 2 gal tank can hold only one fish. A betta, a platy, or maybe a shrimp with one fish.

I personally wish they wouldnt make any tanks smaller than a 5 gal, as anything less than that isnt really large enough for even a betta.

Good Luck, and as always, feel free to ask any questions here.

turtle10 04-12-2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassfish (Post 645728)

Thanks,

Rachel
Posted via Mobile Device

This is extremely overstocked. I would definitely transfer the fish. Two gallons is much too small for any of those, except for quarantine.

Glassfish 04-12-2011 08:07 AM

I tranfered the neons to the bigger tank. Maybe I will do the same with the platy. I was going to get a betta but I have not cycled the tank yet. I was going to do a fishless cycle but some people said, do a fish cycle so you have somthing to watch while it's cycling. I don't know if platys are sensitive to cycling or not. Right now I have the tank heated to 75F. Acording to my cheep test strips everythings fine. Going to the petco today to get some things, a decent test kit is on the list.

Thanks,

Rachel
Posted via Mobile Device

Pufferfish22 04-12-2011 08:13 AM

Cheap tests strips are a diaster if you're cycling they are very innacurate, a liquid test kit will tell you what you need to know to keep your fishy friend alive whilst cycling xx

SinCrisis 04-12-2011 09:02 AM

2 gallons are extremely limited in stocking options. you can keep 1 betta, but even thats a bit small, really only good for keeping a small shrimp population or snails, most fish will not do well in that environment.

Christople 04-12-2011 09:12 AM

I know they aren't but why are strips innacurate?

Glassfish 04-12-2011 09:48 AM

I guess I will let the cycle do it's thing. I kinda like just having one fish in the tank, it looks nice. I suppose after the cycle is done I will put a betta in it. When I looked at them yesterday at the petco they wanted up to fifteen dollars for one. Is this what They go for these days? Are they easy to care for? I don't want to buy one and have it die the next week. I think one will do great in a tank my size. Anything is better then those little cups they get stuffed in.

Thanks,

Rachel
Posted via Mobile Device

redchigh 04-12-2011 09:52 AM

Test strips are inaccurate because their package isn't always airtight.

Air can oxidize the reagants so they lose their sensitivity. Personally I think they're ok if you only want to do one test and it's an emergency, but don't trust them a week or two after the package has been opened.