Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Moving with my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/moving-my-tank-67552/)

lindsayletcher 04-09-2011 09:01 PM

Moving with my tank

Thanks for reading. I'm looking for tips on how to move with my fish tank. I'm staying in the city, but how do I go about re-setting up my tank right away. It's a 26 gallon tank so it will have to be completely empty so I can carry it. I have about 17 fish, tetras, panda corys, and guppies. So I guess this means i'll have to cycle my tank again? Or will it be fine with the same filters, rocks, decor?

Jacks974 04-09-2011 09:52 PM

What I would do is put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket or something. Preferably dark so the fish don't get carsick which I heard can happen.
Then I'd fill up a few other 5 gallon buckets with the tank water. preferably keeping about half of the total water. Dumping the rest.
Then take out enough decorations and stuff to be able to carry the thing...
Putting the gravel in a garbage bag or something that is strong enough for it and allows the gravel to stay a little wet.
Then on arrival at your new place set the tank back up and pour the 5 gallon buckets of tank water back into tank.
Using the bucket that the fish are in, I'd dump about half of the water into the tank while keeping the fish in the bucket.
Finally I'd acclimate the fish to the new tank via drip method and put them in their tank after 30 minutes.
I'm no expert. This is just what I have read and heard. I plan on doing this with my 36 Gallon tank in about a month via a 3 hour car ride. Ugh. I'm not looking forward to it.

AbbeysDad 04-09-2011 11:09 PM

I would transfer the fish to a new, clean 5 gallon pail with lid. Drain all the water from the tank and discard, you don't need it. Place the wet gravel and filter components in another 5 gallon pail or sterlite/rubbermade container. It needs to stay wet. Re-setup in the new place with fresh, warm water and your old gravel, decor and filter. Make sure the water is the correct temperature and treated as/if necessary. Transfer the fish back to there old/new home as though you were bringing them home from the LPS.
Note: If you will have delays from the take down to the setup, you may need aeration and a heater in the 5 gal pail for the fish.

Good luck on the move.

Jacks974 04-09-2011 11:22 PM

I totally agree with everything you have just said. Question about water though. Do you say discard to make it easier or is there really zero point to keeping. The only reason I ask is because I heard it is good for the fish to go in the same water to reduce extra stress bit if that is a load of bologna then great. Like I said. I have to do this in a month and just posted what I planed on doing.
Also how much stress would it put in the tank to keep the gravel in it. I understand Lindsay etcher doesn't want to but for myself I have a planted aquarium and prefer not to take everything apart.
Posted via Mobile Device

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 11:39 PM

Abbeysdad is right on. As far as getting rid of some of the water, think of it as a nice healthy water change. Just make sure you use current tank water to transport the fish as well as the gravel, plants, decor, as well as filter media (and if you can keep water in the filter somehow that helps too). Basically you want to keep as much surface covered in the water to keep the bacteria alive so that it will be seeding the tank completely once transfered, and then its just like doing a 99-100% water change on the tank. Lugging all that access water is useless, as they should have fresh clean dechlorinated water in the re-set up.
If you are concerned with it after setting it up, you can throw a few extra live plants in the tank just incase you encounter a very slight spike in ammonia/nirtite.
Did this same thing with my best friend just over a month or so ago, her tank didnt have any issues at all after being set back up.

And I second the wishing of good luck on your move.

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacks974 (Post 643939)
I totally agree with everything you have just said. Question about water though. Do you say discard to make it easier or is there really zero point to keeping. The only reason I ask is because I heard it is good for the fish to go in the same water to reduce extra stress bit if that is a load of bologna then great. Like I said. I have to do this in a month and just posted what I planed on doing. <---See my previous post
Also how much stress would it put in the tank to keep the gravel in it. I understand Lindsay etcher doesn't want to but for myself I have a planted aquarium and prefer not to take everything apart.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have trasnfered gravel in a tank with enough water to cover the top and the plants and filter media laying flat, however, I have never done that on a tank larger than a 15 gallon. I mean, thats like 25 lbs of gravel if the tank is over 20 gallons, plus a couple gallons of water probably. If you could keep the tank on a rolling table flat so that its fully supported, I personally dont think it would be all that much of an issue if it isnt larger than a 30 gallon.

Jacks974 04-09-2011 11:58 PM

Cool. I'm really glad you said something about the water and bringing some with. That will save me a lot of time and effort carting useless water around.
Thanks. And good luck Lindsay
Posted via Mobile Device

AbbeysDad 04-10-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacks974 (Post 643939)
I totally agree with everything you have just said. Question about water though. Do you say discard to make it easier or is there really zero point to keeping. The only reason I ask is because I heard it is good for the fish to go in the same water to reduce extra stress bit if that is a load of bologna then great. Like I said. I have to do this in a month and just posted what I planed on doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

There is no value or advantage in transporting and reusing used water - would be best to start with fresh clean tank with fresh clean water. Okay, it's not, but imagine if the water was slightly fouled or polluted. Would it be all that stressful to suddenly be in sparkling clean water?
You absolutely want to transport gravel and filter wet to preserve the aerobic bacteria.

I would never move a tank with gravel and rocks in it. I just don't think it's worth the risk. Can you do it?...I suppose. I just wouldn't want to risk it, aside from the added weight.

lindsayletcher 04-10-2011 09:32 PM

Thanks for all your comments! I'm hoping one of my guy friends can carry the tank with gravel in it. Or maybe i'll hit the gym and get really ripped so I can carry it myself! Thanks so much.I'll definitely try to find a pail with a lid to carry the fish in!