Tropical Fish Keeping banner

9/12mm line on an Eheim 2227 canister filter

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DKRST 
#1 ·
What is the 3rd, small, 9/12mm, line used for on an Eheim 2227 Professional canister filter? If you remove it from the water it sucks in air, and will not filter correctly. I have no idea what it is used for. Anyone out there have any idea it's purpose?

#2 · (Edited)
Ok, I finally figured out the answer. Took me a while to find the Eheim manual on-line. The third line is a "breather" line that should not be inserted under the water (see your instruction manual!). Apparently this particular model pump works like a wet/dry filter and "pulses" the water through the pump. It alternately submerges the media and then uncovers it again to increase oxygenation. You can make the pump behave like a typical canister if you plug that smaller tube. I suppose the advantage of the pulsing behavior is to suck air in the breather tube and increase oxygenation of the media, just like a traditional wet/dry filter.

The intake of air through this line is normal.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: griffk
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.