Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Is this Ick? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ick-67503/)

Neutron 04-09-2011 12:08 PM

Is this Ick?

One of my red wag platies has a white spot on her tail. It's not small like a grain of salt, and none of my other fish have it. I may wait another day before trying to treat this just to make sure I know what I'm dealing with.

In the tank I also have 2 other platies and 2 panda cories.

I was unawaure of the need to cycle my tank and the girl at Petsmart said adding 2 panda cories would be just fine. Now that I've been reading about the nitrogen cycle, I've been testing the water and doing water changes to try to cycle the tank and keep the fish alive.

So my further question is:

Will the ick treatment kill all the good bacteria that have grown in the tank?
I've heard panda cories don't do well with salt/high temperatures so doing that seems out of the question. Will they be able tolerate the ick medication from the store?

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neutron (Post 643345)
One of my red wag platies has a white spot on her tail. It's not small like a grain of salt, and none of my other fish have it. I may wait another day before trying to treat this just to make sure I know what I'm dealing with.

In the tank I also have 2 other platies and 2 panda cories.

I was unawaure of the need to cycle my tank and the girl at Petsmart said adding 2 panda cories would be just fine. Now that I've been reading about the nitrogen cycle, I've been testing the water and doing water changes to try to cycle the tank and keep the fish alive.

So my further question is:

Will the ick treatment kill all the good bacteria that have grown in the tank?
I've heard panda cories don't do well with salt/high temperatures so doing that seems out of the question. Will they be able tolerate the ick medication from the store?

Pandas are pretty delicate cories, but I think the higher temp and salt (maybe half dose) would be safer than the meds.

No, ich treatment should not kill the good bacteria. I treated before without any issues.

Glad you did your research, most pet store associates give incorrect advice. If this is ich (pic would help if possible), once its cleared up, you might want to get like 4 more cories (pandas or another variety, mixing has the same effect), as cories are social and shoal.

Dont treat with meds. Try the raising of the temp slowly add a half dose of aquarium salt. Watch and see if they get stressed...if they do, do some water changes to remove some of the salt, and if that doesnt help them, then lower the temp slowly. There is a gentleman on here named Lupin that would be awesome at helping you out with this if he isnt too busy...you should be able to find him on my public profile from my friends list, or on the main page at the bottom his name might be listed somewhere in the statistics.

If its not small, I am inclined to say it might not be ich, and may be something else. A picture would help, although I couldnt tell you want it is unless it was ich, as thats all I have dealt with.

Neutron 04-09-2011 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So it's super hard to take a picture of a fish lol but I got one.
You can see the white on her tail.

Neutron 04-09-2011 03:12 PM

I asked at the fish store what it could be and the guy said not to treat it for ick unless it is ick.
He said put some Melafix in the tank and see what happens. The only thing with that though is that it would kill all the beneficial bacteria in my tank!
I have Bettafix which I use on my bettas at less than half strength. So I figured since the Bettafix is a watered down version of Melafix it would be safe to use with the panda cories. I would still use less than the full dose.
I didn't put it in the tank yet as I'm waiting for some more experienced replies!

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 03:13 PM

Hmm... in the pic it looks clustered like ich, but I dont want to be the one to confirm it for chances I may be wrong. I hope someone more knowledgable in fish disease can come along and confirm. I know that Lupin and BettaBaby are well versed in these manners.

And yes, getting pics of fish is very hard, I have yet to be successful! lol

I will pm the members I referred to with a link to this thread in hopes for their help.

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neutron (Post 643455)
I asked at the fish store what it could be and the guy said not to treat it for ick unless it is ick.
He said put some Melafix in the tank and see what happens. The only thing with that though is that it would kill all the beneficial bacteria in my tank!
I have Bettafix which I use on my bettas at less than half strength. So I figured since the Bettafix is a watered down version of Melafix it would be safe to use with the panda cories. I would still use less than the full dose.
I didn't put it in the tank yet as I'm waiting for some more experienced replies!

Yes, hold off until we get a confirmation from someone much more experienced in this department than I.

Neutron 04-09-2011 03:30 PM

Thanks so much for your help!

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neutron (Post 643483)
Thanks so much for your help!

You are more than welcomed.

I did manage to pm both members, so hopefully within the next day or two, one or both can chime in...or at least another member with this kind of experience.

You can also try to pm a mod and see if they able to assist in any way... here is a list of mods:

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources - Show Groups

bettababy 04-09-2011 04:38 PM

After looking at the photo, I don't believe this to be ich. I need to ask more questions, so please bear with me.

Is this a cluster of small white dots or is it one larger white spot?
Is it raised at all? How long has the fish had this?
Has it changed in size, shape, color, or texture during that time?
Can you please post your water params for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?
What foods are you offering the fish and how much, how often?
What is the current temp?
Did you use water conditioner to treat the water in the tank?
How often are you doing water changes? How much water each time?
And lastly, do you have a quarantine tank available?

The guy at your lfs was correct about not treating for ich if its not truly ich. There are many potential issues in doing such a thing. DO NOT add ich meds to a tank with panda corys, you will most surely kill them. Most ich meds contain ingredients that are way too potent for the pandas.
The other warning I'd like to issue is to not medicate until we know your water params are safe to do so. Even trace amounts of ammonia or nitrite can turn many meds toxic/cause adverse effects. Also, I disagree with the suggestion to use Melafix at this time, so hold off on that too please.

I will check in here periodically during the course of today to follow this thread, wait for replies, etc. The best thing you can do for the fish at present is nothing. Until we know for sure what this is, (which I can't determine until I have more info) the best thing you can do is wait, keep the water as clean as possible, and work on getting a quarantine tank set up if you don't already have one. If you need to medicate in the main tank, the corys will need to be moved out for the duration. If you don't need to med the whole main tank, the sick fish should be moved to quarantine during med treatment. Either way, quarantine is something you should have on hand at all times (everyone who keeps a fish tank should have a quarantine). In the future, whenever you bring home a new fish it should spent at least 2 wks in quarantine before going into your main tank, to avoid the spread of illness/disease and to make treatments much easier and more optional. If you need instructions for a basic quarantine set up, let me know and I can map it out for you. For these types of fish, 10 - 20 gallons would be appropriate.

Hang in there and don't panic. Your fish is not going to die from this in the next day or 2.... which will be enough time to sort things out and get you set up with a proper/appropriate treatment plan.

Neutron 04-10-2011 02:17 PM

Is this a cluster of small white dots or is it one larger white spot? It looks to be two smaller white dots and white surrounding the dots making it look like one larger one.
Is it raised at all? How long has the fish had this? Best I can tell, it's not raised. I noticed it yesterday morning.
Has it changed in size, shape, color, or texture during that time? No.
Can you please post your water params for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH? pH is 7.5, Ammonia 0.3 ppm, Nitrite 0.1ppm and nitrate 5 ppm.
What foods are you offering the fish and how much, how often? Tropical fish flakes, once per day and 1 sinking pellet two times per day.
What is the current temp? 75F
Did you use water conditioner to treat the water in the tank? Yes, I use prime.
How often are you doing water changes? How much water each time? I change the water when ammonia gets to 0.5ppm.
And lastly, do you have a quarantine tank available? No, and no money to buy one right now.