Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   I got more fish!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/i-got-more-fish-67493/)

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 05:05 AM

I got more fish!!!

On a last minute adventure with my best friend last night, after hitting the tanning salon, decided to stop by Petsmart and check out their sale going on this weekend. They had a lot of fish on sale. And they started carrying some new fish species. I had been looking for Endlers Livebearers for a while, and my lfs hadnt come through, to my surprise, Petsmart had just gotten a bunch of crosses in. They had an entire tank of Fancy Cobra Guppies that had been crossed with Endler's Livebearers (way over priced though), they were so pretty...then in the fancy male guppy tank, they had a guppy that stood out majorly, and I immediately recognized it as a fancy/endler's cross!! He even had a forked tail that was a brilliant lavender color, with the standard painted body of the Endler's...he was priced the same as the fancies, so I got him and a hot pink partial cobra fancy guppy.

Then, I decided to look in the female guppy tank, and there were 6 babies/fry swimming around. Well, as you may know, Petsmart can not sell the fry and they give them away, so I took all six of them and grabbed a net breeder to keep them away from my mollies who would happily eat them at this size. I will sex them when they are big enough and any females will either be put in my 2nd tank when I upgrade it in May, or will be given to my best friend for one of her two new tanks she will be starting to cycle this week.

I know I am overstocked in my 29 gallon, but bio load for me is a concern as I had 3 large male mollies in the tank. Well, my dalmation balloon molly always had a thing for my cremecicle lyretail male molly, so I let my best friend take him home to her livebearer=free 29 gallon (only houses 5 cories, 6 brilliant rasboras, and 6 LF Zebra Danios, and 2 female bettas) ... (the rasboras were mine, I had given them too her a few weeks ago when I decided to go all guppy and move my neons over for more space).

I will be upgrading my smaller tank to a 10 or 15 in the beginning of May, so i will be transfering the neons and the mollies over to it making my 29 gal all cories and guppies.

Just wanted to share :) And as the new fry grows (totally new to me!) I will post on this thread!

Romad 04-09-2011 06:04 AM

Nice score :) I'm looking forward to pics.

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 643248)
Nice score :) I'm looking forward to pics.

Yeah, I need to take some. I need a better camera! Mine totally sucks! My anniversary is coming up, if the man doesnt get me jewelry I will ask for a new camera! LOL

I will take some though, and see if I can get any to take well enough to see. Or I will video and link it here.

Thanks!

Romad 04-09-2011 06:13 AM

Oh def. go with the camera. I have a nice digital and still have to figure out the best way to get good tank shots (sigh.....)

p.s. - I have an empty 45 gallon that will be set up when we build a family room this spring. I've been toying with the idea of saltwater or guppy tank. I'm leaning more toward guppys now.

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 643250)
Oh def. go with the camera. I have a nice digital and still have to figure out the best way to get good tank shots (sigh.....)

p.s. - I have an empty 45 gallon that will be set up when we build a family room this spring. I've been toying with the idea of saltwater or guppy tank. I'm leaning more toward guppys now.

Yeah, when I first set up my 29 gal I was totally against having any livebearers, as thats all I ever end up with, lol. Well, shortly after I set up my 2nd tank, four guppies went into it. Once my 29 gal was cichlid free, I switch the 4 over to it, and now since switching the guppies over in February, I went from 4 guppies to 17 now including the 6 fry. Guppies are addicting...I dont know if its their activity level, or colors and patterns, but they certainly are awesome little fish!!! Good choice...a guppy tank will be much cheaper than a saltwater one. I toyed with the idea of a salt down the road, but decided against it. I have about $1500+ already invested in my 29 gal, and I know I would have to double that just to transfer it to salt for what I want. Also toyed with the idea of a brackish set up, but sadly, there arent any good lfs around that do brackish fish, and if they do they stick them in a fresh and that screws them all up :(.

But yeah, I vote guppy tank...of course, I am bias on that option, LOL!!

LasColinasCichlids 04-09-2011 02:47 PM

brownmane 04-25-2011 10:08 PM

Beautiful fish! Where do you get the time?

LasColinasCichlids 04-25-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownmane (Post 658595)
Beautiful fish! Where do you get the time?

Thank you :)

Time? What's that? LOL Only kidding... I am a stay at home housewife (no kids though), so other than taking care of my nephew about 3-4 days a week while my sister is at work, all I do is cook and clean up after my hubby. So all my spare time is deticated to my pets...the fish, the dog, and the cat...and my garden on the patio (sadly its been slightly neglected lately since it was a holiday weekend...plus we have been super cloudy and having tons of thunderstorms the past week or so, and my plants are mad because they havent gotten much sun).

Sadly, the Endler/Livebearer died last week...also lost my favorite laserbeam guppy named Sunshine. And I lost my dalmation balloon molly to dropsey. I also lost a habrosus cory...I had expected him to go as he had never grown since I first got him and was itty bitty and I dont think he was eating and if he was I think for some reason he wasnt absorbing what he needed. I have 3 habrosus left, they are hard to find in the tank as they like to hide and are so small. I also lost 3 of the guppy fry, still have 3 left...and the largest is just a week or two away from being able to sex and release into a tank. I lost the guppy & endler cross to only what I can assume was a bacterial or fungus issue...after realizing what my molly died of, I treated the tank...almost lost my turq. guppy, but the meds worked and everyone is fine.

My favorite guppy is one of my fancies...I have had him the longest...his name is Flame. Flame's tail is so vibrant and so long and flowing that his little butt is at a slight angle, almost as if he was a veil tail betta. And when i got him, he barely had a tail. My newest fancy named Cherry, he is almost a hot pink color with slight cobra pattern on him...I can see the growth on his tail coming in and I know he is going to be beautiful!!!

My friends joke that I am a guppy growing machine, as I can take the plainest guppies and within a couple of months or less turn out a guppy worthy of show. I think guppies are easy to care for, but for the tails to be amazing, it takes not only great water parameters, but also the right combo of foods. And I think having more allows them to be socially happy as well.

I need to video my new 15 gallon tank, as I love the natural looking decor I have in it. But I will hold off on that video until I add more stock to it since its just the betta, snail, and frog at the moment. And I will take a new vid of the 29 gallon in the next couple of weeks after I do a good gravel vac on it and after I add more plants to it (had to steal 2 of the 3 live plants to put in the new 15 gal when I seeded it so I wouldnt have to cycle much).