Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   eheim 2213 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/eheim-2213-a-67435/)

sharelove 04-08-2011 01:29 PM

eheim 2213

Hi
I use an eheim 2213 classic - I love it and have been cleaning it regularly - I know how to take it apart and get all reconnected - no problem.

What I want to know is this:
a) I simply don't understand how to take the impeller housing apart - there are no screws or any other method I can see to take it apart to clean it.
b) If I change out some of the ceramic rings and the glass sintered(?) balls out and boil and bleach and then rinse 1,000 times, I assume I then put them back in - but - how do the "old" ones ever get clean as I assume that you mix them up - so potentially it could take years before they all get cleaned at some point - I'm missing something here... (knowledge of course ;)

any and all suggestions are welcome - thanks!
Pierce

underh2o 04-08-2011 04:31 PM

Fist off you have a great filter!! I have four ehiems 2215 and 2213s two are fifteen years old and still work like new. There is a little tab on the impeller housing which you can Gently!! lift up take out the shaft and the impeller.. The shaft is a bit delicate so go slow. Just rince off the impeller and magnet and put it back together. Just take your time. The rings should just be rinsed I have never changed the rings. I no they say to change some of the sustrate at each change but I have found a good rinsing whith clean tank water works great!! Jack

AbbeysDad 04-08-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharelove (Post 642605)
b) If I change out some of the ceramic rings and the glass sintered(?) balls out and boil and bleach and then rinse 1,000 times, I assume I then put them back in - but - how do the "old" ones ever get clean as I assume that you mix them up - so potentially it could take years before they all get cleaned at some point - I'm missing something here... (knowledge of course ;)

any and all suggestions are welcome - thanks!
Pierce

Pierce :sad: - No, you don't want to destroy the biology in your filter! The bio-media houses the the good aerobic bacteria your system needs. Do not clean this media - at most, rinse in aquarium water from your water change and get the boil and bleach stuff right outta yer head!

-Mike

SeaHorse 04-08-2011 09:09 PM

Yes I agree. I don't ever change the rings or the gravelly stuff, just rinse out with tank water. Sometimes I rinse the filter floss/fluff stuff, or sponges, what ever you are using and when it gets really ugly I change only that stuff. Put the stones and rings back in. I use 4 layers in mine. Rings, white gravel substrate, 2 sponges, filter poly fluff. You can save money by using craft pillow fluff or quilt batting from the fabric stores, fold or cut to fit. It's the same stuff.
Layer things correct too! The last stage at the top should be the filter fluffy stuff.
I have the Eheim 2215 and love it.
Did you get the impeller out ? and are trying to take the impeller/shaft spinner apart? or You cannot get the impeller out of the filter?

sharelove 04-09-2011 08:58 PM

thanks all - to clarify: I have never boiled or bleached anything - not even rinse in tap water! I am aware of that - but thanks for making sure! I was only referring to Eheim's recommendation to do that to the ceramic rings and sintered glass thingamajigs about once every 3-6 months. I'm surprised that some of you have never had to change them out to clean them - that's great - the less maintenance the better :)
The other problem I'm having as you have asked for more clarity, Jackiebabie - is that yes, I don't know how to get the impeller out - I can remove the "cap" of it - that's simple but from there - the "fins" on the impeller are wider than the hole - how do I get it out?
thanks again - yes I do love this filter - simple and easy to deal with :)

SeaHorse 04-09-2011 10:26 PM

Well mine is old 2215, so I will describe what I do... in the lid, once you turn it over, has a clip that "unclicks", like a turn counter clockwise and comes off. Then you see the impeller down in the hole. Mine at that point has a flat plate that is sitting over the impeller. stick your finger in the hole where you can see the impeller and gently pull up/away. see if anything comes loose or away. Mine has a large plate covering the impeller that fits down into a slot. Looks kinda like a giant flat key shape with the impeller hole in the center.
Just a suggestion to try next time you have it open. Look and see if you have that plate. The impeller is a heavy magnet too so it is a good pull to get it out. Good luck.