Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Water Changes... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/water-changes-67415/)

Cassandra90 04-08-2011 08:38 AM

Water Changes...

I need to do a water change this weekend in my 55 gallon and 10 gallon. But I have a really bad cut on my right hand, and I am right handed.
I do not want the cut to touch the water, I thought about buying some of those yellow dish washing gloves but those for sure will fill with water when in my 55 gallon.

Does anyone have suggestions about going about this?

SeaHorse 04-08-2011 08:51 AM

Maybe a hardware/building centre style store will sell longer gloves. Just a suggestion.

Cassandra90 04-08-2011 08:53 AM

Maybe I'll take a look at Lumber Jacks tonight, they might have something.

What do you think about latex gloves? They fit snug, so the water may not be able to fill into them.

Romad 04-08-2011 09:28 AM

This might be a dumb question but why do your hands have to be in the water at all? Do you have to rearrange plants or something?

SeaHorse 04-08-2011 09:34 AM

Well I know they come in different lengths. You may just have to not put your hands in so far....? What are you doing that you have to reach in so far that you could maybe not do it for one week...?
(I'm thinking of those gloves on the vet TV shows where they "look after" cows.) LOL

:shock: :rofl:

Cassandra90 04-08-2011 09:42 AM

Well I need to do a water change and I syphon the gravel during that process also I bought some live plants that I need to stick into the substrate, right now they are floating but I need to do it soon before my fish decide to eat the roots.

Romad 04-08-2011 10:10 AM

Well that explains it. I'd bribe/recruit someone to push the plants into the substrate for you so you don't have to worry about your cut. Good bribery items are chocolate, wine, cake etc.. :) :)

I'm a worry wart when it comes to the fish so I'd stress out about getting latex into the water and wouldn't chance it with gloves. I don't know if that would even be an issue or not.

I hope you figure something out.

Mikaila31 04-08-2011 10:14 AM

I'd do it without gloves, but thats just me:lol:

Cassandra90 04-08-2011 10:33 AM

Oh I tried briebing my little sister. She wont do anything.
I am a worry wort too but more about the infections I could possibly get.

SinCrisis 04-08-2011 11:35 AM

um... or just use aquagloves..Aqua Gloves - 1 Pair - 28 in. | Tongs & Grabbers | Cleaning & Maintenance Supplies | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com.

This is what I use when i have open wounds on my hands. Ordering it probably wont get it to you in time for this water change, but its a good tool to have sitting around for cases like this.