Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Feeding Fish & Snails

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Bigguy71 
#1 ·
I would like some advice on feeding. I have 5 Zebra Danio, 5 Guppy, 3 Molly, 5 Neon Tetra, 1 Baby Pleco. How much do I feed my fish? I vary the food from Bloodworm Pellets, Fish Flakes, Frozen Bloodworm, Micro Algea Wafers. Secondly, how do I feed the Pleco algea wafers if the shrimp take it?

I have five Amano Shrimp which will take any food which hits the gravel within SECONDS. I also have three Nerite snail, two Assassin snails, and several Malaysian Trumpet snails. The Nerites spend all day grazing on the glass for algea so I guess they don't need feeding. The Assassin snails feed on the Malaysian Trumpet snails. Finally the Malaysian Trumpet snails feed on whatever is in the gravel. Is this right?

#2 ·
are you planning on having tons of algae? the pleco + the amano + nerites are all algae consumers. Amano shrimp will scavenge for everything but prefer algae based foods.

Nerites you dont have to worry about too much, as long as you know you are getting regular algae growth. Amanos will carry food away, breaking up the algae wafers into little pieces will cause them to grab one piece and run away with it. The rest can be left for the pleco or the snails. Use bigger wafers though, micros are more suited for shrimp, larger wafers are better for pleco mouths.

IME plecos aren't the best at figuring out algae wafers as food, they will mostly try to feed like your nerites, steady grazing of the glass and decorations.

That diet you have listed sound good, the general rule is to feed little bits at a time and letting as little of it fall to the ground as possible and then feeding the bottom feeders specifically via netting the food and bringing it down or just dropping it depending on the behavior of your mid and top level inhabitants.

#3 ·
Bottom feeding

Something you can try especialy for the pleco, take a slice of cucumber ruber band it to a like size stone then put it in. I have found they love it and a pet store I frequent does this regularly, just dont leave it in there till it is gone, once the pleco and others have eaten and moved on remove it, dont leave it in the tank till it is completely gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.