Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish tank cycle - I don't want to do the same mistake again :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-tank-cycle-i-dont-want-67343/)

Macchu 04-07-2011 01:03 PM

Fish tank cycle - I don't want to do the same mistake again :(

Hey All,

I originally posted my queries here .

As of this morning, all my fishes are dead .I am so sad and feeling bad that I couldn't even hold on to one.:(
So I have decided as per your instructions, try to cycle the tank completely and then add any new fish.I am thinking of doing with live plants(which I am yet to get).Any suggestions for me to go from here will be so helpful, as I no longer trust the pet store people.

1.Initial steps to start the process.Do I have to change the whole water at this point and start anew?
2.Test kit, which is good one?
3.Water conditioner?
4.Live plant Java Fern, Wisteria, Java Moss, Water Sprite ?

Thanks so much for your advice.Hopefully I will do the same mistake again.

Mikaila31 04-07-2011 01:16 PM

You need a densley planted tank with that method and good growth. Plants themselves need proper nutrients and correct light. I personally wouldn't suggest trying to cycle a tank with plants if you are trying plants for the first time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Macchu 04-07-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 641625)
You need a densley planted tank with that method and good growth. Plants themselves need proper nutrients and correct light. I personally wouldn't suggest trying to cycle a tank with plants if you are trying plants for the first time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can I do Fishless cycle then? Sorry for so many questions, I just don't want to end back where I am.

Mikaila31 04-07-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macchu (Post 641626)
Can I do Fishless cycle then? Sorry for so many questions, I just don't want to end back where I am.

yes fishless cycle with ammonia.

GwenInNM 04-07-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macchu (Post 641620)
Hey All,

I originally posted my queries here .

As of this morning, all my fishes are dead .I am so sad and feeling bad that I couldn't even hold on to one.:(
So I have decided as per your instructions, try to cycle the tank completely and then add any new fish.I am thinking of doing with live plants(which I am yet to get).Any suggestions for me to go from here will be so helpful, as I no longer trust the pet store people.

1.Initial steps to start the process.Do I have to change the whole water at this point and start anew?
2.Test kit, which is good one?
3.Water conditioner?
4.Live plant Java Fern, Wisteria, Java Moss, Water Sprite ?

Thanks so much for your advice.Hopefully I will do the same mistake again.

That is sad to lose your fish. Sorry. Get the API liquid test kids. Definately use Prime as your water conditioner. This site has a link for fishless cycling, though I still didn't get it, until I just finished doing fishless cycling. So, if you use pure ammonia, I don't know how much you add, but you should be able to find that in the link. I put a jumbo frozen shrimp in a mesh bag, did get a cloudy tank (but it cleared up very soon on it's own) that's the bacteria bloom. I pulled the shrimp out as soon as I had ammonia readings, and have only used fish food to "feed" the tank for the last 4 days. Once you put in a source for ammonia you'll soon get an ammonia spike (I never tested for nitrites), I just kept testing for ammonia. It actually does work, can't give you a time frame, because it varies so much on many factors. I used material from my existing tank to jump start and I used a bottled "cycling booster" product. But in on week, my ammonia as of today is .25 and I think by tomorrow, if not this weekend, it will be 0.

It goes ammonia - nitrites - nitrates. Once your ammonia is 0 you can get your nitrates down by doing a water change and you're ready to go.

I haven't tested my nitrates since Monday and they were at 20, I've just been waiting till the ammonia goes to 0, than you know the tank has cycled. I thought as soon as you have nitrates the tank is cycled, so it is confusing.

Best of luck! I will say that I also cycled with Danios and never lost one, but I was diligent about doing water changes whenever the test kit indicated the smallest level of ammonia. So, I think it can be done, but you have to test frequently, and be ready to do water changes at a moments notice. Probably not for everyone

Mikaila31 04-07-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 642065)
That is sad to lose your fish. Sorry. Get the API liquid test kids. Definately use Prime as your water conditioner. This site has a link for fishless cycling, though I still didn't get it, until I just finished doing fishless cycling. So, if you use pure ammonia, I don't know how much you add, but you should be able to find that in the link. I put a jumbo frozen shrimp in a mesh bag, did get a cloudy tank (but it cleared up very soon on it's own) that's the bacteria bloom. I pulled the shrimp out as soon as I had ammonia readings, and have only used fish food to "feed" the tank for the last 4 days. Once you put in a source for ammonia you'll soon get an ammonia spike (I never tested for nitrites), I just kept testing for ammonia. It actually does work, can't give you a time frame, because it varies so much on many factors. I used material from my existing tank to jump start and I used a bottled "cycling booster" product. But in on week, my ammonia as of today is .25 and I think by tomorrow, if not this weekend, it will be 0.

It goes ammonia - nitrites - nitrates. Once your ammonia is 0 you can get your nitrates down by doing a water change and you're ready to go.

I haven't tested my nitrates since Monday and they were at 20, I've just been waiting till the ammonia goes to 0, than you know the tank has cycled. I thought as soon as you have nitrates the tank is cycled, so it is confusing.

Best of luck! I will say that I also cycled with Danios and never lost one, but I was diligent about doing water changes whenever the test kit indicated the smallest level of ammonia. So, I think it can be done, but you have to test frequently, and be ready to do water changes at a moments notice. Probably not for everyone

Make sure you watch nitrite. Ammonia can be zero and you can easily still have nitrites. Nitrites are more toxic then ammonia. By watching only ammonia and nitrate your tank may appear cycled when its actually only half wayish. Cycling with fish is not suggested. Fish may survive, but its like someone surviving a burning building. They may be alive, but its likely they will live with the burns and lung damage the rest of their lives. Fish-in cycling takes much longer, more work, more expenses, ect.

GwenInNM 04-07-2011 11:06 PM

Trust me, I won't be putting fish in without making sure I have little, if any nitrates. I'm guessing nitrates could be up to 40 by now, but I'll be getting that down before I put fish in.

Thanks for the tip.

Mikaila31 04-08-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 642102)

Trust me, I won't be putting fish in without making sure I have little, if any nitrates. I'm guessing nitrates could be up to 40 by now, but I'll be getting that down before I put fish in.

Thanks for the tip.

I was talking about nitrItes. I could care less about nitrAtes. I have close to 40ppm in one of my tanks are those fish are fine. If you have even slight nitrites though it's a problem.

SinCrisis 04-08-2011 12:20 PM

nitrates are mostly harmless to fish, they just cause algae issues if you let them go out of control.

Getting a good amount of plants, especially like water sprite left floating will consume ammonia and nitrates lieka beast that it is. You can probably put one or 2 fish in with the plants without worrying about a terrible cycle.

GwenInNM 04-08-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 642457)
nitrates are mostly harmless to fish, they just cause algae issues if you let them go out of control.

Getting a good amount of plants, especially like water sprite left floating will consume ammonia and nitrates lieka beast that it is. You can probably put one or 2 fish in with the plants without worrying about a terrible cycle.

My ammonia is 0 today, but my nitrates were 80. I took out 15 gal and my nitrates were at 40. So tomorrow I plan on doing another WC and hoping to get that down, so I can put fish in. I think even 40 is too high. My other fish seem to begin to stress when nitrates hit 40 in my other tank.

Do you agree I should get that down before adding fish?

Gwen