Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angel in a 20 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angel-20-gallon-6734/)

Firebelly girrl 06-26-2007 11:50 PM

Angel in a 20 gallon

What are your guys opinions on a single angel in a 20 gallon? I've been reading around, some say minimum 20 for a pair (and i would only get one) and some say minimum 40.
Hmm...I was going to get maybe a 1male x 3 female platy for other tank occupants.
Platy babies = good food for angels, correct? And I wanted platies, and the angel would keep the population stable, correct?
THANK YOU!

Lupin 06-27-2007 12:27 AM

Re: Angel in a 20 gallon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebelly girrl
What are your guys opinions on a single angel in a 20 gallon? I've been reading around, some say minimum 20 for a pair (and i would only get one) and some say minimum 40.

I prefer the 20 minimum for a breeding pair only. If you want a single angel, you can try with a 20 tall but this will limit your stocking plans as angels grow far too big for small tanks. A bare minimum height of 18 inches is required. Their ventral and dorsal fins and body diameter of mostly 6 inches should be given consideration.
Quote:

Platy babies = good food for angels, correct? And I wanted platies, and the angel would keep the population stable, correct?
All correct.

Firebelly girrl 06-27-2007 01:00 AM

Yes its a 20 tall. But why does it seem its OK for breeding pairs, but not a single angel? Ive noticed this on some websites.

Firebelly girrl 06-27-2007 01:00 AM

OHOH do you mean, a 20 gallon is OK for a pair, by themselves?

Lupin 06-27-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

OHOH do you mean, a 20 gallon is OK for a pair, by themselves?

For breeding pair on temporary basis. A pair will likely bicker and there isn't enough space for a battered one to escape.

A 20 is not all that often advisable even for a single angel. It is a cichlid and we all know cichlids often have unpredictable behavioral changes. Angels like a lot of space to move around thus this limits your choices for that type of tank. You may be okay with one but cramped conditions will not permit it to allow future tankmates to live with it.

Firebelly girrl 06-28-2007 02:32 AM

OK could you recommend a fish that could happily live in a 20 gallon, that could help keep a platy population down? And wont outgrow the 20?

Lupin 06-28-2007 02:34 AM

Quote:

OK could you recommend a fish that could happily live in a 20 gallon, that could help keep a platy population down? And wont outgrow the 20?

Tetras will definitely help.:) Diamond tetras are gorgeous.:love: