Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hello-67292/)

Neutron 04-06-2011 07:47 PM

Hello

Hi Everyone,
I found this forum while looking for help on my new 10 gallon tank. I have 3 platies and 2 panda corys in it. After researching (mainly on this website) I have come to the realization that I rushed into it and should have cycled my tank BEFORE getting fish, so I am slightly in a panic.

I have three bettas as well, each in their own 5.5 gal tank. They started my interest in fish keeping. They are each in their own 5.5 gal heated but unfiltered tank. They are very easy to care for, which is why I didn't realize that a bigger aquarium with different fish would be MUCH different!

I look forward to learning more about aquariums!

SeaHorse 04-06-2011 07:59 PM

Welcome to the Forum Neutron, you've come to the right place!!

Boredomb 04-06-2011 08:13 PM

Hey and welcome to TFK!!

Christople 04-06-2011 08:20 PM

Sorry to burst the happy bubble but cories need three minimun.

Neutron 04-06-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christople (Post 641107)
Sorry to burst the happy bubble but cories need three minimun.

I realized that after I bought them and brought them home. AND realized I need to cycle my tank. Ignorance on my part, especially for listening to the people at Petsmart.

I've read they are sensitive when it comes to water and now my tank needs to cycle with them in there... :(. Will it take longer to cycle if I do bigger water changes to keep ammonia down so the cories are safe?

SeaHorse 04-06-2011 08:37 PM

I'm sure once the tank has cycled Neutron can add one more tiny Panda Cory. they are not very big that's for sure. 10 Gal is not a huge space tho and cycling is most important right now. We don't want him to lose anyone in there.
I know they say Cory's 3-5 in groups but I have yet to meet a skittish one. Mine have always been pretty laid back, but maybe mine are exceptions to the rule.
One thing at a time Neutron!

SeaHorse 04-06-2011 08:38 PM

What kind of filter do you have and what is inside it? No the good bacteria is in the filter not the water!

Neutron 04-06-2011 08:54 PM

I have a Aquaclear 20 filter. Inside there is foam, charcoal and BioMax.

Btw, I am definitly not getting another cory until my tank is cycled.

SeaHorse 04-06-2011 09:32 PM

Ok I looked up your filter. The carbon does nothing by the way and wears out very very quickly. I really don't know why they even put it in there! Carbon is used to remove medications from your tank after treating sick fish, and initial clarity of the water. So if you run out don't waste your money on buying more.
Don't change the filter media for a long long time! I don't remember that last time I changed mine, I just rinse it in old tank water so that chlorine doesn't kill the good bacteria on it, or a bucket of de-chlor water. That bio filter bag once your tank is cycled is what is precious. The foam filter also can be rinsed and re-used altho they will tell you otherwise on the box. Don't rinse it yet, you need to cycle the tank.
So you could pour some "used" gravel into your tank, or put it in a little net bag into the Carbon section of that filter. (nylon knee high works well)

Remember that good things in a tank take time and only bad things happen quickly in a tank, so don't do too many changes to a tank at one time. Also you have a disadvantage because you are working with 10 gallons of water. For example 5 fish pooping in 10 gallons effects the balance faster than 5 fish pooping in a 30 gallon. More water, slower effects. Got it? So changes in your 10 gal will happen quickly and you will have to monitor it closely.
You should get (if you don't already have these) a special bucket used strictly for your aquarium, mine is red, (god help anyone who uses my red bucket for anything) Thermometer, Liquid API test kit. I know they all cost $$ but are needed for better outcome.
Lastly Panda Cory's are more delicate than some cory's so they just might not make it thru this. Do not be surprised ok?
I think it takes 15 postings before you can enter the chat room...

Neutron 04-06-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakiebabie (Post 641199)
Ok I looked up your filter. The carbon does nothing by the way and wears out very very quickly. I really don't know why they even put it in there! Carbon is used to remove medications from your tank after treating sick fish, and initial clarity of the water. So if you run out don't waste your money on buying more.
Don't change the filter media for a long long time! I don't remember that last time I changed mine, I just rinse it in old tank water so that chlorine doesn't kill the good bacteria on it, or a bucket of de-chlor water. That bio filter bag once your tank is cycled is what is precious. The foam filter also can be rinsed and re-used altho they will tell you otherwise on the box. Don't rinse it yet, you need to cycle the tank.
So you could pour some "used" gravel into your tank, or put it in a little net bag into the Carbon section of that filter. (nylon knee high works well)

Remember that good things in a tank take time and only bad things happen quickly in a tank, so don't do too many changes to a tank at one time. Also you have a disadvantage because you are working with 10 gallons of water. For example 5 fish pooping in 10 gallons effects the balance faster than 5 fish pooping in a 30 gallon. More water, slower effects. Got it? So changes in your 10 gal will happen quickly and you will have to monitor it closely.
You should get (if you don't already have these) a special bucket used strictly for your aquarium, mine is red, (god help anyone who uses my red bucket for anything) Thermometer, Liquid API test kit. I know they all cost $$ but are needed for better outcome.
Lastly Panda Cory's are more delicate than some cory's so they just might not make it thru this. Do not be surprised ok?
I think it takes 15 postings before you can enter the chat room...

Thank you, thank you thank youuuu for being so helpful!

I am between my winter and summer job right now so I have all day to monitor the tank which I will do! I have a liquid test kid by Hagen. It tests pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I tested it today and the pH was between 7.0 and 7.5 and everything else was 0. I made a chart too to record all the results.
I have everything you listed! .

So should I only change the water when there is ammonia in the tank? Like change say 20% of the water and use the siphon to clean the gravel?

The chatroom will be easier!!!