Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Angels Laying Eggs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/angels-laying-eggs-6729/)

GNOME 06-26-2007 08:48 PM

Angels Laying Eggs

Well the topic says it all. They are doing it while I'm posting this topic. The Angels are in a 30 gallon community tank. They are depositing their eggs on a plant (sword) leaf. When they are finished should I remove the leaf and place it in another tank. I have a 5 gallon with baby guppies in it. HELP !!!!

Lupin 06-26-2007 09:34 PM

Re: Angels Laying Eggs

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNOME
Well the topic says it all. They are doing it while I'm posting this topic. The Angels are in a 30 gallon community tank. They are depositing their eggs on a plant (sword) leaf. When they are finished should I remove the leaf and place it in another tank. I have a 5 gallon with baby guppies in it. HELP !!!!

If you move it in your 5 gallons, the guppies are likely to eat the eggs. If I were you, I'd either leave the eggs there with the parents or sacrifice the guppies if you don't have another tank. To explain the former, don't be too surprised if the angels ate their eggs if this is only a first batch but this is no reason why you should worry. They might eventually learn not to do so as they lay another batch.

GNOME 06-26-2007 10:25 PM

Angels laying eggs

Thanks Lupin for the advice. :D

GNOME 07-14-2007 06:11 PM

Angle Eggs

Well they ate the first batch and are laying another as I write. If I cut the leaf off the sword after they're done I could place the leaf in a net breeder. Any thoughts? Oh the eggs are brown in color not white.

stuby 07-15-2007 12:18 AM

99 times out of 100 they will eat there egg even after they have laid many times before! Your best bet is to remove the eggs and put them in a jar with a air stone and some meth blue....once there free swimming feed them baby brine shrimp and put them in a 5 or 10 gal tank by themselves!

btw: they should be tan/brown and not white! Cograts on the spawn and good luck!

GNOME 07-25-2007 03:40 PM

Angle Eggs

Well the eggs were eaten. Darn. I'm sure that they will spawn again, but I did get some pictures of the eggs and the parents so I'll post them when I get home from work.

soco1125 07-26-2007 11:59 AM

haha... i have the same trouble. i have 5 young angels in a 55g by themselves, and they have spawned twice now. both times the eggs were white (unfertilized) and were eaten within 3 days. they spawn again in about a week.

if you really want to raise the babies, definitely put them in a jar of water tinted dark with methylene blue and containing an airstone... as stuby said.

GNOME 07-27-2007 11:08 AM

Angle Eggs

well all the eggs have turned white. This is the third batch. How old does the male have to be to reach maturity.

Lupin 07-27-2007 11:22 AM

Re: Angle Eggs

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNOME
well all the eggs have turned white. This is the third batch. How old does the male have to be to reach maturity.

8-9 months would be their sexual maturity. How old is your male? Are you sure that angel is a male? There are cases wherein two females often pair up not knowing their genders.