Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   aquarium salt (swordtails) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/aquarium-salt-swordtails-6718/)

Boomshaker 06-26-2007 01:18 PM

aquarium salt (swordtails)

Do swordtails require some salt in their tank? Reason I ask is because one petstore clerk said yes, and the other said "they don't really need it if you don't have it in there". (seriously, 2 answers at the same store) What I have read so far is yes. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. correct?

leifthebunny 06-26-2007 01:52 PM

What other fish do you have in the tank? I've got swordtails in a tank without aquarium salt, so it's not required. Scaleless fish are susceptable to the salt, so most cat fish don't tolerate the salt.

aquathena 06-26-2007 01:52 PM

The funny thing about Livebearers is that, while they do require a bit of aquarium salt, they don't need that much. You can put in half the dosage (one tablespoon for every 10 gallons) and it's the same to them. I recently added two Albino Corydoras to my Livebearer aquarium and I was concerned on how they would react to so much salt, because they're very sensitive to it. However, several people on this forum told me that I can stop putting in salt altogether or to put it in once in a very long while. I think it's really up to you and how much you think is best for your fish.

Boomshaker 06-26-2007 02:20 PM

leifthebunny, I only have swords in there. My goal is to get a bigger tank with at least 2 of every color. (some day down the road and some gallons bigger lol)

aquathena, thank you for the 1/2 dosage advice. I may try it and see how the like it. Then if not just change out some of the water later on.

aquathena 06-26-2007 02:34 PM

Your welcome! I hope it works out well for you and your fish. :D

fish_4_all 06-26-2007 03:04 PM

I have kept live bearers including swords for a long time and they don't "require" salt per say. That ebing said, if it wasn;t for the fact I have live plants in all my tanks now I owuld use salt in all of my aquariums. Before I got plants I never ever had an ich outbreak from new fish but when I added fish after not adding salt for a couple months I lost a dozen fish from it. Had to treat with Copper Safe to save the last of my prized white Swordtails and Sunset Swords. I also keep cories in the same tank and have never seen them have a problem with using the salt amount recommended on the package. Just take it easy if they have never been exposed to salt before and also most important:

Salt does not evarporate! Only add in the amount you should for the amount of water you remove. If you don't remove water then don't add salt. A hydrometer, although most will say you don't need it, will be handy because you can accidentally overdose and wind up killing the more salt seceptible fish. I don't know what the salinity should be but hopefully someone will so you can track it properly.

leifthebunny 06-26-2007 03:30 PM

Good point fish_4_all. All of my tanks are planted except 1. As for the ich, have you used Para Guard? I've run into ich in several of my tanks and have never lost a fish due to it.

Boomshaker 07-10-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leifthebunny
Good point fish_4_all. All of my tanks are planted except 1. As for the ich, have you used Para Guard? I've run into ich in several of my tanks and have never lost a fish due to it.

My question also. I have read folks using para gaurd on a regular basis. Should I use it also on a regular basis?(is it good to use on a regular basis?)

leifthebunny 07-10-2007 09:39 PM

Using medication on a regular basis is never a good thing. The fish (like humans) build up a tolerance to the medication over time. Parasites are no different.

Boomshaker 07-10-2007 09:42 PM

Got it! Thank you very much.