Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   hi im new (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hi-im-new-67167/)

regan 04-05-2011 10:24 AM

hi im new

hi i am new to the forum, i use many different forums for other hobbies and i have chosen this one for my new fish hobbie! i have in the past had goldfish which lasted 4years with no filter so i do care!!

i have just purchased a biorb life 45l tank in a sale for 180 very happy with the deal i also purchased a heater which i was advised is the right size for the tank, i intend on getting tropical fish.

i know i need to cyle my tank before i even think about fish, my question is do i buy live plants now or do i need to wait for my tank to finish cyleing?

my biggest question is i am going to have the tank in my room so would it be the end of the world if i set the a timmer for the fitler so i could have 8hours sleep? i was hoping with live plants and less fish for the size of the tank i could get away with it?

sorry for the large first post thanks for any tips or help

Boredomb 04-05-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan (Post 639826)
hi i am new to the forum, i use many different forums for other hobbies and i have chosen this one for my new fish hobbie! i have in the past had goldfish which lasted 4years with no filter so i do care!!

i have just purchased a biorb life 45l tank in a sale for 180 very happy with the deal i also purchased a heater which i was advised is the right size for the tank, i intend on getting tropical fish.

i know i need to cyle my tank before i even think about fish, my question is do i buy live plants now or do i need to wait for my tank to finish cyleing?

my biggest question is i am going to have the tank in my room so would it be the end of the world if i set the a timmer for the fitler so i could have 8hours sleep? i was hoping with live plants and less fish for the size of the tank i could get away with it?

Hi Regan and welcome to TFK! Glad you found us! There are many people here who can help you with your questions. I am still a newbie to fish keep but will say this you can do a tank cycle with live plants in the tank I am currently doing this in my 55gal I have setup. I will also say there is a thread in I believe freshwater aquariums that talks about tank cycles and some with plants. Their are many people here that can help you if u ask.

aunt kymmie 04-08-2011 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan (Post 639826)

:wave:Welcome to TFK! We are happy to have you with us.
Cycle with plants, for sure. It will speed the cycle. With enough plants and a few fish to start you will have an instant cyle. A timer works wonders, I have them on all my tanks. All timers come on at 10am and shut off at 9pm. Fish require rest, just as we do. In nature they get their 12 hours rest, with most of that being complete dark, with no light at all. At the top of each subforum here are "stickies" which contain alot of great info. If you have the time you might want to peruse those. Again, welcome!

Romad 04-08-2011 08:24 AM

Hi regan,

Welcome to TFK. Boredomb and Aunt Kymmie already gave you great advice. Definately read the stickies to find the best way to get your tank cycled.

Let us know how your progress goes. And post some pics. when you get a chance.

SeaHorse 04-08-2011 10:28 AM

Hi Regan. Welcome from Ontario. Aunt Kymmie was talking about putting your lights on a timer but I think you were asking if you could put the FILTER on a timer... is the noise too loud on the filter? Usually we call this "white noise" and most people sleep well with it in the background... is that what you mean?
I would not recommend the filter coming on and off each day, you will likely get huge ammonia spikes... it's hard enough to keep things balanced at the best of times.
Anybody want to jump in here?
Anyway glad you found us!!

willow 04-09-2011 03:16 PM

hello and welcome. :)

Byron 04-09-2011 05:18 PM

Hi, and welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

I agree with Jackiebaby, the filter should run continuously. Could have some trouble if not. With a well planted tank you don't need much in the way of filtration, but some water movement is important. Maybe look into a sponge filter, which would require a small air pump, and some of the better ones can be very quiet.

Eheim used to make a superb sponge filter with its own motor, it hangs inside the tank; but I believe they have discontinued this model. It would be ideal, i have one in my 33g and it is totally quiet.

Byron.