Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Particles visible in water with new filter (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/particles-visible-water-new-filter-67142/)

Elvis 04-05-2011 12:53 AM

Particles visible in water with new filter

I just upgraded my filter to a Fluval FX5 from a Fluval 305, it's a big upgrade and the filter is much more powerful now.
Because of this it seems that there are lots of particles floating around in the water, they are loosened up easier from the more powerful filter.
I think it could also be my lighting though, I'm not too sure.

This is where I need some advice, would these particles be less visible with a newer better light?

The tank is a 75 gallon and right now there is a 36" single T5 bulb illuminating it.
I think my aquarium could fit a 48" light fixture and I was thinking of buying a double T5 fixture
and putting a regular T5 bulb with a actinic bulb for a cool blue effect.
I don't want to waste the money though if these particles are just going to show more :/

1077 04-05-2011 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis (Post 639669)
I just upgraded my filter to a Fluval FX5 from a Fluval 305, it's a big upgrade and the filter is much more powerful now.
Because of this it seems that there are lots of particles floating around in the water, they are loosened up easier from the more powerful filter.
I think it could also be my lighting though, I'm not too sure.

This is where I need some advice, would these particles be less visible with a newer better light?

The tank is a 75 gallon and right now there is a 36" single T5 bulb illuminating it.
I think my aquarium could fit a 48" light fixture and I was thinking of buying a double T5 fixture
and putting a regular T5 bulb with a actinic bulb for a cool blue effect.
I don't want to waste the money though if these particles are just going to show more :/

Eventually the particles will be drawn in to the filter and be less visible assuming you aren't over feeding,over stocking.(and you rinsed the filter material before placing it in the new filter)
If fish are in the 75 gallon,I would run both filter's for a couple weeks, or at the least, borrow some filter material (no more than half) from your old filter to place in the new filter to help bacteria to colonize there.
Fish would prefer less lighting as opposed to more or brighter lighting.
If plant's are in the design,,that's another story.

Elvis 04-07-2011 06:53 PM

I did take media from the old filter and put it in the new one, no worries there. What would a nice bulb be that is a little dimmer but still brings out the colors in the fish? There is no plants in that tank so lighting is just for show.