Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Water Circulation to prevent GBA (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/water-circulation-prevent-gba-67076/)

migdem 04-04-2011 12:34 PM

Water Circulation to prevent GBA

I have a problem in my aquarium. It has been running for 9 months and have some Blue Green Algae in it. Should I create a strong current? By doing this I have some drawbacks. Fish gets carried away and needs to fight against the current (angelfish, tetras, loaches, corys, bristlenose) Also the water becomes full of particles. What is the best thing to do?

Also I have a pair of angelfish and they are breeding in the community tank. I am going to remove eggs and try to hatch them myself but if I make the water strong the eggs would die or fall off?

Is it possible to switch off the circulation pump when the lights go on and then I switch on the pump when lights are off? Another problem is when I switch it off the leaves will be all covered with particles (like dust in them).

The other problem is that i have like strands of brush algae. (not too much as the blue green algae)

Lights are on for 8 hrs a day (216W for 450 litre tank) I dose PPS - PRO daily. I also have CO2 with PH Controller set to 6.6PH with 3 KH. I skipped it for 2 days because I had angelfish eggs and did not want to disrupt but the algae was already there.

Byron 04-05-2011 11:34 AM

The best solution is to find the cause of the cyanobacteria and algae and rectify it. It is not going to dissappear unless the source is found and removed.

I would not risk the fish in order to try a "cure" which as I mentioned is not going to cure anything anyway. Some fish, those mentioned, are highly stressed if they are forced to fight currents. And shutting off the filter for half the day is not advisable.

Cyanobacteria occurs due to excess organics, plus light. Algae due to excess light, in the presence of nutrients. I would reduce the light, in intensity and possibly duration. And do a thorough "clean" to deal with the organics.

Byron.

redchigh 04-05-2011 01:27 PM

And more water changes. :P

Personally, I would cut the CO2, cut the light, and then work back up to where you want after algae is under control, but thats just me.

I agree, don't keep the current on those poor forest fish.

migdem 04-05-2011 06:03 PM

Byron the filter is always on. I just shut down the other wave maker pump which is doing alot of water movement. Should I shut it and leave only the filter?

SomeDudeAtHome 04-05-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 639890)
The best solution is to find the cause of the cyanobacteria and algae and rectify it. It is not going to dissappear unless the source is found and removed.

I would not risk the fish in order to try a "cure" which as I mentioned is not going to cure anything anyway. Some fish, those mentioned, are highly stressed if they are forced to fight currents. And shutting off the filter for half the day is not advisable.

Cyanobacteria occurs due to excess organics, plus light. Algae due to excess light, in the presence of nutrients. I would reduce the light, in intensity and possibly duration. And do a thorough "clean" to deal with the organics.

Byron.

Byron, could you clarify for me what you mean by organics? Fish waste, excess fish food, dead/dying plant parts?

Byron 04-05-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migdem (Post 640191)
Byron the filter is always on. I just shut down the other wave maker pump which is doing alot of water movement. Should I shut it and leave only the filter?

If this only moves the water around and does not filtration, I would shut it off definitely with those fish in the tank.

I re-read your first post, and am puzzled by the particles you mention appear. Can you detail this a bit more? Maybe a photo or two?

Byron 04-05-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeDudeAtHome (Post 640193)
Byron, could you clarify for me what you mean by organics? Fish waste, excess fish food, dead/dying plant parts?

Any once living thing that dies, waste, anything decomposing/decomposed. "Natural" stuff, just like organic vegetables are "natural" without chemical or artificial fertilizers.

In a balanced aquarium, the bacteria should be able to handle the organics that regularly appear, and plants aid in this by assimilating the nutrients resulting from the breakdown of the organics by bacteria.

migdem 04-06-2011 02:47 AM

these particles seems like dust/decomposed plants that are shattered into pieces. The pump only generates water no filtration. the most thing that I could do is add another filter but still I have to figure our where I should install this. The pump that I have right now is only a wave maker so is it better that I shut it off?

Byron 04-06-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migdem (Post 640562)
these particles seems like dust/decomposed plants that are shattered into pieces. The pump only generates water no filtration. the most thing that I could do is add another filter but still I have to figure our where I should install this. The pump that I have right now is only a wave maker so is it better that I shut it off?

Yes.

My advice is same as redchigh's to deal with this. Obviously something is out of balance, nutrients and light are in excess or cyanobacteria would not be a problem.

migdem 04-06-2011 01:16 PM

ok it is shut. Since I am dosing PPS-PRO u removed the nitrate from the mixture because I already have in my aquarium. What should I make less? Lights are on for 8 hrs a day on 216 W for 450 litre tank.

Also do you know of a small filter as and additional one to use with my current one?