Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   tetra with a white upper lip? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/tetra-white-upper-lip-67033/)

Boredomb 04-03-2011 10:33 PM

tetra with a white upper lip?
 
2 Attachment(s)
I just noticed earlier today that one of my Colombian tetras has a white upper lip? Can someone tell what it is please? Got some pics but they are not the best since the little guy kept hidng in the plants sorry.

small fry 04-04-2011 10:29 AM

(posting mainly to subscribe to topic)

My Lemon Tetras sometimes have this same kind of white on their upper lip. I don't know if it is directly harmful or not, but I would love some more info on this "marking". Hopefully some experts will swing by and diagnose that.

Boredomb 04-04-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by small fry (Post 638884)
(posting mainly to subscribe to topic)

My Lemon Tetras sometimes have this same kind of white on their upper lip. I don't know if it is directly harmful or not, but I would love some more info on this "marking". Hopefully some experts will swing by and diagnose that.

Got five of them and just that one has it and it didn't start till the third day? He seems to be okay still swims around a lot and still eats everything he can get LoL

Boredomb 04-04-2011 12:32 PM

Just to add a little more here are my water parameters ph=7.4 ammionia=.25 GH=9 KH=8 nitrite =0 nitrate =5 temp=77

Andarial 04-04-2011 04:09 PM

I think this could be mouth fungus or Columnaris, I've never treated it before but if it is it's extremely contagious, it is a bacterial infection. It should be treated immediately if possible. Maracyn is one of the treatments I know about. But if you feel uncomfortable because I'm not exactly sure (only about 97%) wait for someone else to respond. In the later stages the fins clamp down and start to rot.

Boredomb 04-04-2011 05:14 PM

Ooh that's nice umm not much I can do now as I just saw the post and I am at work Soo are they both contagious?

small fry 04-04-2011 05:18 PM

I don't know. It seems that all of our fish are fine right now. The first time I had a tetra with this, I moved it to a small QT, and it got so stressed, it didn't eat. I had to put the poor guy down.

The next time I had a tetra that got this (or what looked like this at least), I treated the tank endlessly for a long time and I probably killed the fish with meds. Tetra a very sensitive to fish meds. Now I have my tetra that shows these symtoms, and it hasn't spread (not saying it wont), and it has eaten Ok for the past few weeks.

I am not saying that this isn't a problem, I am just saying that I think we need to get a better idea of what this is before we try to treat it. I doubt that it is "mouth fungus" (which is a good guess, but that could be any number of diesases with similar symtoms), and I really doubt it is Columnaris due to it's incredibally fast spread, and it's quick deaths.

Let's hang tight for a minute. A big enough, good water quality QT for the fish showing these symtoms is probably the best option for now. Otherwise, it may not be a good idea to treat sensitive tetra, or make a diagnosis just yet.

(edit: I just posted right after boredomb, so I didn't see the reply. Yes boredomb, Columnaris and most strands of "Mouth Fungus" are highly contagious, but like I said, I don't kow if that is what our fish have or not.)

Boredomb 04-04-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by small fry (Post 639170)
I don't know. It seems that all of our fish are fine right now. The first time I had a tetra with this, I moved it to a small QT, and it got so stressed, it didn't eat. I had to put the poor guy down.

The next time I had a tetra that got this (or what looked like this at least), I treated the tank endlessly for a long time and I probably killed the fish with meds. Tetra a very sensitive to fish meds. Now I have my tetra that shows these symtoms, and it hasn't spread (not saying it wont), and it has eaten Ok for the past few weeks.

I am not saying that this isn't a problem, I am just saying that I think we need to get a better idea of what this is before we try to treat it. I doubt that it is "mouth fungus" (which is a good guess, but that could be any number of diesases with similar symtoms), and I really doubt it is Columnaris due to it's incredibally fast spread, and it's quick deaths.

Let's hang tight for a minute. A big enough, good water quality QT for the fish showing these symtoms is probably the best option for now. Otherwise, it may not be a good idea to treat sensitive tetra, or make a diagnosis just yet.

(edit: I just posted right after boredomb, so I didn't see the reply. Yes boredomb, Columnaris and most strands of "Mouth Fungus" are highly contagious, but like I said, I don't kow if that is what our fish have or not.)

None of my other tetras are showing signs of this and the one that is is still eating acting okay this tank is still cycling and I don't have another tank will just watch and I am going to do a water change tonight

Boredomb 04-04-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 639180)
None of my other tetras are showing signs of this and the one that is is still eating acting okay this tank is still cycling and I don't have another tank will just watch and I am going to do a water change tonight

Okay before I was on my cellphone and hard to read and type on the thing LoL. So being this is the only tank and I only have 5 tetra in it do you think it will be okay to leave it there since I don't have another tank? and Like I said I'll be doing a water change tonite or fist thing in the morning ( it might bee really late when I get off of work tonite) is there anything else I should do other then keep a close eye on the little guy? THanks for the help soo far!!

small fry 04-04-2011 06:11 PM

If you don't have another suitable sized tank already setup and cycled, I would just leave the fish where it is at. If you do find out for sure that this diesase is deadly and contagious, you may have to take more serious measures. Hopefully it wont come to that.:-(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2