Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Water Wisteria Issues (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/water-wisteria-issues-66895/)

alidawn15 04-02-2011 02:39 PM

Water Wisteria Issues

My water wisteria is dying, but everything else is fine. Can anybody give me ideas as to what it could be? Also, I bought a Whisper filter cartridge and then discovered it had carbon in it. Can I use it or is it junk?

Blaxicanlatino 04-02-2011 05:46 PM

hmmm i had water wisteria once, it grew incredibly fast but then one day started dying like crazy. The carbon does... i forget what it does but its a good thing lol. It usually come standard with filters.

alidawn15 04-02-2011 08:09 PM

I've read that its not good to use with plants...

Byron 04-03-2011 02:19 PM

Carbon removes "stuff" from the water, and unfortunately some nutrients are included in the "stuff" that it removes. In a planted tank i would not use carbon. The plants can handle the filtration of the bad "stuff" better than the carbon anyway.:-)

As for the Wisteria issue, this is exactly how it always does with me too. Great at first, then not so good as it literally falls apart over several weeks. Being a fast growing stem plant thus requiring plenty of light and nutrients, the cause is probably insufficient light and nutrients. I moved on to other plants that will do well in my conditions.

redchigh 04-03-2011 05:12 PM

I would trim it well and do a few large water changes... Possibly even vacuum the gravel around it.
(Could be allelopathy)

alidawn15 04-03-2011 08:52 PM

If I trim them there won't be anything left. They've only been in the tank for a few weeks. Oh well I guess I won't be buying that one again. I've now come into possession of an undergravel filter. Would that help with plant debris or is it useless? The gravel vac gets plugged so often with it that it's quite tedious.

DanMarion 04-03-2011 09:07 PM

Undergravel filters generally don't do so well with planted tanks, since the plant roots tend to clog up the filter system.

alidawn15 04-03-2011 09:27 PM

Oh great so now I've got a useless undergravel filter and a filter that I can't use the cartridge I bought in...Well that figures doesn't it...

Byron 04-04-2011 11:59 AM

DanMarian is correct; another downside to UG filters in planted tanks is the faster (relatively) flow of water down through the substrate. There is a natural flow of water down into and then back up through the substrate in nature and in planted aquaria. This serves two main purposes. First, it brings oxygen rich water down to the aerobic bacteria [more on these in a moment in connection with your plant debris issue], but more importantly it brings nutrients to the plant roots, and that is essential. But the roots need some time to assimilate the nutrients, so a faster flow through the substrate is somewhat detrimental.

To the debris. This I suspect is mainly the rotting leaves of the Wisteria, which can accumulate I know. When this is excessive, they should be removed during the weekly water change. But normally, debris is allowed to settle into the substrate, and that aerobic bacteria mentioned earlier breaks down the organics into useful nutrients for the plants. There is quite a complex biological process going on in a healthy substrate. In planted tanks the gravel should not be deeply vacuumed but left alone, just skim off the surface debris in open areas when it is excessive.

Back to the dying Wisteria; are you using any fertilizer, and if so, which one? And what is your light (type, be specific) and duration? And the tank size (volume)?

You mention other plants doing well, which species? This may give us a clue.

Byron.

alidawn15 04-04-2011 01:01 PM

Everything in my signature is together as I only have one tank--a 10 gallon rectangle.

The debris is from the water wisteria, anacharis, and small sections on the moneywort. The moneywort is growing out of the water already. The hornwort is growing new parts. The jungle val is growing new leaves but the darn thing comes unplanted every time i change the water. I don't use fertilizer except the animal waste and don't clean anything but the surface because i'm sick of replanting already. The light is on somewhere around 8-10 hours a day, but it doesn't seem strong enough to me. This bulb is in a desk lamp in front of my tank. Walmart.com: Aqua Culture: Aquarium Clear Light Bulb, 2 Ct: Fish I just got a hood that I need to clean and get a bulb for if that helps...

Oops I meant that bulb in the plant version...