Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   stocking for a 55 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-55-gallon-66890/)

fish4ever 04-02-2011 12:50 PM

stocking for a 55 gallon

does anyone have any good ideas on what fish i should put in it

GwenInNM 04-02-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish4ever (Post 637056)
does anyone have any good ideas on what fish i should put in it

Because I wish my tank was big enough for Bosemans Rainbows, that's what I'd recommend. Hardy enough, and beautiful. Active swimmers, do need to stay in groups of at least 5. Check them out on the profiles. Smart, great looking fish.

Gwen

Byron 04-03-2011 02:32 PM

First, what are your water parameters? Some fish have preferences, sometimes these are very important, sometimes less so. Selecting fish with similar needs will help avoid problems and poor health.

Second, what sort of aquascape do you have, or do you want? Plants? Wood? Rock? Small fish? Medium fish?

Third, browse through the fish profiles (second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top) and see what you like. Water parameters, comments on compatibility, special issues, numbers needed, etc are there for each species.

The possibilities for a 55g, which is a decent sized tank, are many and varied.

Byron.

fish4ever 04-03-2011 02:49 PM

i was think a densly planted tank just got it fully set up last week with a filter running. i took my water sample to my lfs and they said you can begin adding fish but i dont know what. i want a brightly colored group of fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-03-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish4ever (Post 638133)
i was think a densly planted tank just got it fully set up last week with a filter running. i took my water sample to my lfs and they said you can begin adding fish but i dont know what. i want a brightly colored group of fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, so what is the pH, hardness and temperature? You may not know the hardness, but your water supply people can answer that; many have a website with this info posted. This is important to know (all 3 I mean).

jeaninel 04-03-2011 03:01 PM

You'll need to cycle the tank first. Since the tank was just set up your water tests will show 0 for ammonia and nitrite so of course the LFS will say your ready for fish. Like Byron said, find out what your Ph and hardness are. I think the Boesemani would look stunning in a planted tank (given you don't have extremely soft water). They do best in basic, moderately hard water.

fish4ever 04-09-2011 12:24 PM

it is not hard water the temperature is 79