Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   New 75G Planted Tank: Filtration / Amount of Plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-75g-planted-tank-filtration-amount-66762/)

zfarsh 03-31-2011 10:51 PM

New 75G Planted Tank: Filtration / Amount of Plants

Hi All, I am new to aquariums, though i have had many small aquariums in my life and taken care of Goldfish and Turtles, but never with any technologies such as filters, etc... So i would be doing water changes very often in my youth. That said, i am runing a small tank with HOB Filter, plants, fish, sand.

I want to buy a 75 G Tank, I can fit this in my Room, and it doesnt seem too high that i cant reach all that i want when comparing it to a 90G. Now I need serious help / criticism, i have never ventured in such a big tank, and i can really use the experience of pll doing this for a while. Pls help me with the filtration / amount of plant questions, as i know each setup is different, and one cannot know all the answers.

Desired Aquarium Setup:
75G Tank, 1 x 2217 Euheim Classic Canister with Sponge media / mechanical only, Black Sand, 6500K light fluorescent but on a open tank. Water Change every week of ~20%.
Desired Plants: Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Hornwort, Duckweed, etc... (chosen for low light / not easily eaten plants by goldfish and not much heat). Also, some plants that have their root in water but body on top, such as Lucky Bamboo and Pothos
Desired Fishes in order of importance
#1) 5 - 6 Fancy Goldfish
#2) 2 3 BristleNose / Bushy Nose Plecos
#3) 1 3 Dojo Loach
#4) 2 5 male guppies
Questions:
1)Am I way overstocking this tank? If so, pls make suggestions so I can have at least 5 Fancy, 2 plecos, and some dojo (s), and keep my 2 existing guppies. I prefer not to go to a 90 gallon tank as it simply adds height to the tank, thus making it harder to access the bottom for me. If i have to do two water changes per week, then so be it...
2)I have read about using a Canister with mechanical media only should be sufficient due to fact that it will be a planted tank, though i donot know how much plants will be required yet. That said, why is chemical and biological filtration to be avoid in a planted tank, and how do i know if I have enough plants? Any recommendations on medias to use?
3)Should I add a HOB to this setup, and if so, what media. I currently have a AquaClear 30 on my 10G, which i can transfer, or i can also buy the AquaClear 100, but again, what medias to use?
4)If I leave my Tank Open, Can the Dojos really escape, and if so, how much high do i need to prevent this.
Thanks in advance:

SeaHorse 04-01-2011 08:06 AM

Because you are comparing 75 to 90 and I have a 75G don't forget to consider where this is going to go... as water is 10lb per gallon, you are comparing 750 lbs+ and 900 lbs+ (+stand and other equipment).
Should be on an outside wall and not nec on an inside wall. also what direction do the studs go, should be opposite to the tank to help support. Just making sure you are aware of these issues.

SeaHorse 04-01-2011 08:07 AM

how large an aquarium can my floor support Here is the article just in case.

zfarsh 04-01-2011 10:29 AM

Ah man, this stuff is making me feel uncomfortable, i read the article and dont know what to say, or what to do.

I was going to put the 75G tank (i dont want 90G). I live in a Condo on the 10th floor (there are 12 floors in total). I was going to put this is a small bedroom which has 2 large windows, in an one on the North Side, the other on the West side. The aquarium was going at the wall where the large window to the north is, right in the middle of the wall / windows, with blinds closed. I have no idea if this area is structurally strong, and other than puting plywood, which apparently doesnt do much, I dont know what i can do. Also, what did you mean by "what direction do the studs go, should be opposite to the tank to help support". What studs??? Sorry, i had not even thought the weight could be an issue, and now i am all mixed up.

zfarsh 04-01-2011 12:16 PM

Hi Jackie, thanks for the info by the way, i made a drawing of where the aquarium will go and put about 1000 to 1600 pounds for this 75g tank (that should be enough right??) and sent it to the builder, hopefully they will come back with good new, i am keeping my fingers crossed, as i really want this to work out.

SeaHorse 04-01-2011 01:21 PM

Well good that you are stopping to think about this!! I did not mean to worry you but it is disasterous if placed in the wrong spot. If you go 75 gal then you should be well under 1000 lbs. I was assuming sorry, that you were in a house and there would be floor joists under your floor. They travel across usually in one direction and you can see them when you are in an unfinished basement and look up at the ceiling. In that instance you would place the heavy tank on an outside wall somewhere that crosses those beams not running the length of those beams. In an old house you would not want the tank to go thru the floor. that is why water beds can be a problem in older homes too.
Now you however are in a condo and should be on concrete slabs one for each floor, built to withstand earthquakes right? You would hope? Not wooden floors with joists and beams like a house. So, good that you are checking this out, and you will likely find that all is ok, but it is something that people forget to do when they buy a huge aguarium.
Someone in here recently picked up a 240 gallon... that's 2400 lbs +++ . That's gonna have to go in the basement!! Have fun with your new tank.

Byron 04-01-2011 02:21 PM

You probably have a concrete building. Here they do not make frame (wood) apartment buildings higher than 4 stories. Sometimes concrete and steel for 5-7/8 stories; but above that it has to be reinforced concrete. Probably the same where you live.

I had three tanks, a 115g, 90g and 70g, in the enclosed balcony of my condo, it was a concrete and steel construction, 6 stories, i was on the 4th. No issues. But I would never have even considered a large tank in a frame building.

zfarsh 04-02-2011 01:01 AM

Thanks again Byron and Jackie. I live in Toronto (Oakville) Canada. I am waiting to hear back from the management. As i already went to them for this issue, i now have to wait for them to advise me. I just hope i didnt my overdoing of the weight (i said it was 1000 to 1600 lbs) doesnt get them all worried and they give me a no. I have wanted a real aquarium ever since i was a kid, so keeping my fingers crossed.

That said, any recommendations on some of my concerns with overstock / planting and filtration medias, etc.. ??

Byron 04-02-2011 10:24 AM

You are considering goldfish I take it, which goes out of my experience. I will leave it for one of our goldfish experts like Lupin to comment on five in a 75g, and the suggested companions and filter.

I would suggest that more than one Dojo loach is not going to work in a 75g. They attain a foot in length. We have fish profiles here, second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page, and the Dojo Loach is included. You can also click on the shaded name in posts to "pop-up" that fish's profile.

Goldfish eat plants as you know, so you are limited to tough (and thus usually slow-growing) species, which means they have slightly less impact on water filtration. Most of those mentioned are in this camp. The duckweed is a fast grower, and will probably be eaten readily, but that is fine; it is nutritious.

Byron.

redchigh 04-02-2011 11:07 AM

I was going to post about goldfish being coldwater fish, but thats the problem when you think you 'know' something. Apparently you're right.

A quick search came up with this for you-
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...ont-eat-62366/