Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   2 Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/2-questions-66745/)

neocharles 03-31-2011 08:21 PM

2 Questions

3 Attachment(s)
I have a Red Gold Guppy and a Turquoise Guppy. First off - Are these males or females? I tried to get the best pictures possible... but I figured the flash might be stressing them out so I stopped.

Secondly, they have been swimming around each other A LOT. Chasing after each other, going up and down the corner of the tank together... "kissing" almost... Am I about to have babies here?!?!

Thanks!~

Christople 03-31-2011 08:24 PM

both males. the best way to tell is to see if on the male the anal fin is sharp. This is called the gonopendium. On females it is not like this and males are more coorful.

neocharles 03-31-2011 08:30 PM

With that in mind, is it normal for two male fish to frolic together so much? Just making sure all is well.

stevenjohn21 03-31-2011 09:17 PM

Probably just having a bit of fun :-) Add a few Females and they will have even more fun ;-)

LasColinasCichlids 03-31-2011 09:37 PM

Yes, they are both males.

The behavior is very normal that you are discribing. Guppies are playful, and males often "dance" together in play and also to establish their pecking order when all males are kept. I have 9 of them together, they are funny, active, and adore each others company. The more the merrier for guppies, as this way it can spread out any all male aggression if it happens.

Remember if you plan on adding females that these guys can reproduce quickly and in bulk!! Also, you will want at least 2-3 females per one male, or the stress from the males picking at the female and trying to mate her can and will kill her. And avoid female mollies with male guppies, they can crossbreed. Sexing them is the same as with guppies, they have the longer pointed anal fin verses females who have a shorter rounder anal fin. (Also avoid male mollies with female guppies, they can crossbreed as well, but the size of baby mollies can kill the female guppy before, during, or after birth.)

Marginatus 04-01-2011 04:42 AM

They're both very nice quality Guppies, especially the red.

If you're going to get some females remember that you're probably going to be mixing different colour strains and results will be uncertain because you have two different strains of male...it can be good fun waiting for the results though.

neocharles 04-01-2011 02:23 PM

Awesome. I have tried a few tetra in my tank the past few months, but haven't been too successful. However, the guppies look really nice and are quite active, which I like.

There's no problem having all males, correct? I don't think I'm quite ready to try to breed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marginatus 04-01-2011 03:15 PM

Having all males is absolutely fine and is far less hassle than having them mixed.

LasColinasCichlids 04-01-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marginatus (Post 636222)
Having all males is absolutely fine and is far less hassle than having them mixed.

I agree!!!

All males is fine. Having all males means no babies, no making sure you have the right ratios of females to males, and means more color in the tank, generally.

I have always only kept all males when dealing with guppies (mollies too). There is nothing wrong with it. However, I do advise at least 3 or 4 of them to spread out their attention between one another.

They are beautiful guppies you have.

neocharles 04-01-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids (Post 636274)
I agree!!!

All males is fine. Having all males means no babies, no making sure you have the right ratios of females to males, and means more color in the tank, generally.

I have always only kept all males when dealing with guppies (mollies too). There is nothing wrong with it. However, I do advise at least 3 or 4 of them to spread out their attention between one another.

They are beautiful guppies you have.

Thanks! Do you know if when I go into petsmart to pick up a few more (whenever I do) if they'll know male from female? I don't want to wind up with a disaster on my hands haha